Fire Protection Services Design Engineer
Do you dream of working in a role where your talent with Fire Protection and next-generation data centre design can be merged? Do you want to expand your current knowledge of building systems while providing input from your previous experience? Have you ever wondered what it is like to be able to influence construction on a global scale? YES! Then keep reading....
In this role you will influence all aspects of fire protection design, construction, operations, and maintenance for our global fleet of data centres. This includes fire suppression, fire detection, fire alarm, and mass notification systems, as well as fire-resistant construction and life safety. You will work with internal and external teams to define, design, detail, and document the various fire protection features that our facilities require, using both prescriptive and performance-based design approaches.
Primary responsibilities will be to perform and oversee project-related work, such as water supply analysis and design for fire water service to buildings, including coordination with third party vendors to establish basic site infrastructure requirements. You will typically prepare prescriptive designs for building fire suppression, alarm, and detection systems, while preparing or approving performance-based design elements as needed to support our goals. You will review all design disciplines to ensure they meet the minimum fire protection requirements described in our design standards. In some cases, you will oversee and review this work and in other cases you will perform the work yourself.
As part of this role you will work with internal and external stakeholders, including design engineering, construction, commissioning, operations, vendors, and other service providers. You will be part of a global team, operating within the APAC region, and you will be an integral part of our work to change the world through technology.
About the team
The Data Center Design Engineering team at Amazon Web Services consists of Architects, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Fire Protection and Controls Engineers working to design the next generation of Data Centres. The team is committed to achieving a world-class uptime for our customers and strives to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, and efficiency, while finding new ways to meet our growing demand. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make directly to AWS leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements in our designs. As an integral member of the team, you will have the opportunity to directly impact our business and create positive change.
• Driving improvement of design standards and project approaches across the organization.
• Work with third party design vendors to review concept designs and designs in progress to ensure they meet established design standards, local code requirements, and any other requirements of the Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs).
• Be responsible for providing high quality fire protection engineering advice on a wide variety of projects globally whilst working with global fire protection engineering teams to achieve alignment of designs and design objectives.
• Coordinating with construction and commissioning teams to answer requests for information and value engineering queries.
• Be responsible for construction documents, code compliance, design and installation standards, water supply evaluation and assessment, testing, inspections, and submittal review.
• This position will involve 20% travel within APAC region and occasionally globally. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Fire Protection Engineering, or an equivalent engineering degree in a related field with at least 2 additional years of qualifying experience.
• Cumulative 5+ years of experience in design engineering or construction industry, related to all aspects of fire protection, including at least fire suppression systems, fire alarm and detection systems, fire-resistive construction, and life safety.
• Experience applying local codes, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, International Code Council (ICC) requirements, and other fire protection industry standards, procedures, and methodologies.
• Experience with processes of design review, specification, development of design standards, and submittal review.
• Ability to read and understand construction documents (design drawings, control diagrams, specifications, etc.). PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience authoring white papers, technical documentation, training materials, Code Modification Requests (CMRs), and Alternate Materials and Methods (AMM) proposals.
• Experience directly related to construction of data centers, critical medical, industrial, construction, oil and gas, or large-scale mechanical and power systems.
• Licensed Fire Protection Engineer.
• Strong knowledge of ICC Codes, NFPA Standards, and FM global requirements, including development processes and technical committee participation.
• Experience with performance-based alternatives to prescriptive fire protection design.
• Advance knowledge of both mechanical and electrical systems commissioning.
• Strong business analytics skills.
Amazon is a committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.