System Development Engineer - Incident Management
Amazon Consumer Tier One Support (C-TOS) is the first line of defense for maintaining high availability in the Amazon Retail Website. We make customer impacting events shorter, less frequent, and less severe, by providing large scale event and incident management. The Amazon Retail Website has hundreds of millions of customers globally who can be impacted by these types of incidents; the work we do to mitigate them helps real people at a tremendous scale. Our automated tooling quickly identifies the cause of an issue and helps mitigate the impact, and much of our engineers' time is spent on projects to improve the tooling, automation, and processes to avoid future occurrences. We help direct the resolution of an issue to the relevant service teams, and dive deep into those events retrospectively to drive improvements to our process. It's an exciting time to join our team as we are rapidly growing and expanding our offerings globally.
As a System Development Engineer on you will build tooling to automate the detection and resolution of issues within Amazon's Retail Website infrastructure. You will also spend a portion of your time of your time directing the resolution of high visibility incidents by leading conference calls, taking notes to collect data and help improve our processes. Using data and insights learned from those incidents you will drive further improvements into our automation, tooling, and processes so that the next event is shorter, less severe, or avoided entirely. You will participate on project teams to expand use of our tooling to additional areas across Amazon. This position will be part of a globally distributed team of 20+ engineers across Austin, Dublin, and Sydney to allow for 24x7 coverage. Each group will work 10 hour shifts for 4 days a week. If you're looking for a team with great growth potential and an opportunity to make a huge impact, this is the team to join.
• Drive the resolution of large scale customer impacting issues as part of a globally rotating team
• Design, build, and enhance incident detection and management tools
• Participate in Agile sprints to evolve business processes and technologies
• Create and review documentation; design new standard operating procedures
• Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues and own projects to drive improvements
• Mentor peers in your areas of technical and operational strength
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or at least 4 years relevant experience in a large-scale technical environment
• 3-5 years experience building software for internal or external use
• 3-5 years of experience using and troubleshooting Linux or Unix based systems
• 3-5 years experiencing troubleshooting and resolving technical issues in a distributed environment.
• 2+ years experience driving collaborative projects from conception to delivery using Agile/Scrum methodology
• Solid grasp of networking fundamentals
• Effective organizational skills and the ability to maintain a consistently high standard of operations in a busy environment
• English language written and verbal communication skills PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience building services for a large scale cloud platform such as AWS.
• Experience driving and managing large troubleshooting efforts
• Experience dealing effectively with internal technical teams during problem resolution
• Ability to effectively operate and communicate efficiently under pressure