Managing Director, International Mid Market Buyout Firm to lead DACH market entry, Germany
Our client is a highly distinctive mid-market buyout firm, headquartered in the US and with an existing European fund and a number of local offices already, now seeking to enter the DACH market. The firm invests in high growth / high margin assets and is characterized by its dynamic culture and decisive leadership. With an exceptional conversion rate for the deals it wishes to secure, the firm will be bold in its sourcing and execution, reflecting the entrepreneurial spirit of the founders and their philosophy of investing with conviction.
The firm wishes to recruit a proven senior deal maker to spearhead its entry into this key European market. As the Managing Director for DACH, you will represent the firm in all local relationships, driving direct and indirect deal sourcing efforts and working closely with the London based team on accelerated execution processes. You will support the management and value creation plans of relevant portfolio companies through to exit, and contribute to the wider strategy and leadership of the group, including talent management and fundraising in due course.
The office location for this position can be flexible to suit the ideal candidate, but is expected to be in one of the major German hubs for private equity, and in any event the new Managing Director will need to travel as necessary to identify investment opportunities and interact internally with colleagues. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent the wider firm in the DACH market, leading on all key commercial relationships.
- Active sourcing of relevant investment opportunities both via intermediaries and direct to owner, seeking ways to position the firm to secure the best deals available.
- Deliver compelling investment theses to the investment committee and in turn, demonstrate winning partnership opportunities to owners and managers, making this fund the partner of choice, and pushing aggressively for early closure.
- Implement and track value creation plans, working with management teams proactively right through to exit.
- You must bring a real bias for action - an outbound personality with genuine emotional intelligence to underpin a relationship led approach to deal sourcing. Allied to this should be a desire for speed and a certain impatience for process obstacles. This firm operates with a high degree of conviction in its own judgment and will chase the deals that make sense aggressively.
- You will already have a live and expanding network of owners, entrepreneurs, managers and advisors and be able to demonstrate how you use this to harness market intelligence and position the firm to see and secure the right investment opportunities. Understanding what these deals are, and how to secure support internally and externally becomes a vital part of the job.
- Culturally, you will need to straddle an intimate understanding of the DACH market and the Mittelstand mindset, together with effective working relationships with other colleagues in the European team and the founders and other partners in the US. Wide international experience and a truly cosmopolitan outlook are critical to the success of this role.
- A decisive nature, able to identify relevant opportunities quickly and focus on them ruthlessly (and by extension, cut out all other deal flow early), to maximise efforts and resources on converting the right deals
- Our client is focused on finding the right individual to lead this market entry and will have an open mind on the balance of actual experience. This should certainly include a meaningful amount of direct investing exposure but may well involve other commercial roles ranging from advisory, to start-up, to corporate, to family office, leverage finance and possibly fund investing. We will look creatively for the mix of soft and hard skills and recommend people who can enable the firm to succeed.