The SRE Team for Edge Services is responsible for building and monitoring services used to transit the external facing edge of our networks to provide access to internal resources. We manage access services and ensure scaling to provide a secure and reliable service to our users. We achieve our goals by developing and maintaining our own tools and leverage industry standard automation frameworks.
Edge Services are critical in the day-to-day operations of thousands of engineers at Bloomberg - we provide Engineers access to internal resources with a solution called bbVPN: Giving the flexibility to access from anywhere in the world helping to be flexible and innovative. As our engineering teams continue to grow, as does their reliance on and the importance of Edge Services.
As a technology stack we use VPN technologies (openVPN), proxy services (HAproxy) and Identity Aware Proxies tailored for Bloomberg's requirements. For automation, we use frameworks like Ansible and SaltStack. For version control we use git and leverage standard SDLC practices and tools. Our culture:
- We're proud of our culture and collaboration sits at the centre of how we operate, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate across teams and locations on a global scale, both virtually and in person
- Engineers at Bloomberg actively craft the direction of our technology and products, helping drive innovation in the financial markets
- Frankfurt is one of 11 engineering hubs at Bloomberg, since being established in 2014 Frankfurt has enjoyed consistent growth, now with 140 employees and 70 in engineering, the office has become an integral part of Bloomberg's global tech communities and initiatives
- Since 2021 we've been employing a hybrid work model, which gives our engineers flexibility but also allows us to foster team spirit and collaboration across teams
- We're big advocates of getting together and sharing ideas, our Frankfurt office holds regular internal and external tech, social and philanthropic events to strengthen our relationships with the local community
- Our Frankfurt office is in the heart of the city, it's also newly refurbished, so for the days that you're in the office you can enjoy brand new facilities, which include a fully stocked pantry serving breakfasts and lunches. If you'd like to get a feel for the office and the different teams - we have a great video for you to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-ig-NyAMo
Alongside a great culture, we also offer Frankfurt employees a comprehensive list of benefits, which include:
We'll trust you to:
- 100% coverage on health insurance costs for employees and eligible family members
- 30+ days holiday per year
- Endless opportunities to participate in philanthropic events and charity days
- Sponsorship for continuous education and professional development
- Sponsorship to attend external events and global conferences
You'll need to have:
- Apply your experience as an SRE to reinforce SRE concepts
- Engineer solutions to monitor the health, availability, and capacity of our environment and software using industry standard tools and practices
- Assist in architecting large-scale secure solutions for our teams' products
- Define, measure, and achieve service level objectives as appropriate for the systems the team handles
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems with a diverse technology stack
- Help expanding the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
- Collaborate with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solutions to their problems
- Using programmatic techniques thoroughly test all infrastructure and systems managed by the team to ensure that they work as expected
We'd love to see:
- Demonstrated experience in a relevant SRE/DevOps role
- Experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C++, Python, Java, Golang etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Experience at the linux command line, including system-level debugging and networking
- Experience with Security monitoring tools such as osquery
- Experience in building CI/CD toolchains with tools such as Jenkins, Github, and Artifactory
- Deep understanding of metrics and monitoring ecosystem i.e. grafana, humio, distributed trace
- Deep expertise troubleshooting complex distributed systems
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
- Experience with using tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt to fully build and manage complex infrastructure at scale.
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking
- Linux kernel level debugging and eBPF experience
- Knowledge of Linux or Windows internal
To find out more about Engineering at Bloomberg, check out www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org / or our Diversity Partner EmployAbility email@example.com.