Senior Interaction Designer (IxD)
What is the opportunity?
It's an exciting time to join the RBC Digital Design Group.
We're transforming our digital platforms with the goal of becoming an industry leader in delivering exceptional client experiences. To achieve this, we're building digital teams that will be pushing design, creativity and technical innovation in everything we do. For Interaction Designers with big ideas, it's an opportunity to shine.
Our goal is to make every RBC customer touchpoint consistently outstanding. Supported by extensive user research and testing, you'll have a deep understanding of our customer needs as you conceptualize and execute great web and native app experiences. You'll ensure each interaction between the user and the RBC brand is intuitive, satisfying and memorable.
Comfortable within agile team environments and an iterative process, you'll be collaborating with interdisciplinary team members and stakeholders as you analyze, design and convey your mobile and responsive design vision. A natural problem solver, communicator and facilitator, you'll be involved in every step of the process from idea generation to implementation. You not only see the big picture, you understand all the micro interactions that contribute to a clean, beautiful experience. What will you do?
What do you need to succeed? Must-have
- Employ user-centered design principles and techniques to optimize the client experience for new and existing RBC products and features
- Work closely with analysts, product sponsors, managers and development teams to understand and execute on business requirements
- Develop artifacts such as user journeys, sitemaps, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Collect and analyze user behaviour by planning, executing, and reporting on various research and testing methods (ethnographic studies, card sorting, usability testing, A/B testing, surveys)
- Participate in design review sessions with project teams, gain consensus and get approvals on design deliverables
- Closely collaborate with a core team, including Visual Designers, Content Writers and other design disciplines
- Work with the Product Design Lead to ensure that usability deliverables meet project timelines, budgets, technical and scope constraints
- Gauge the usability of new and existing products and making constructive suggestions for change
- Constantly apply your exceptional eye for detail and passion for quality
Nice to have
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), Human
- Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science (CS), or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in designing usable interfaces across multiple channels and platforms
- Experience in an applied research setting including experience integrating user research into product designs and design practices
- Demonstrated ability to articulate design strategy, rational and logic; describing benefits and highlighting
- risks associated with design decisions
- Demonstrated expertise with design, prototyping, and research tools such as Sketch and Axure RP, InVision, UserTesting.com
- MA/MS degree or certification in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product,
- industrial), Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science (CS), or a related field
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and
- how to apply them during each product phase
- Appreciation for the potential of 'design thinking'
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Proven problem-solving abilities
- Appreciation of critique, collaboration and co-authorship
- Experience working within a large organization and within an agile environment
- The curiosity to tinker
- Amazingly positive outlook