Big Data Developer
IHS Markit is currently investing in their technology and data platforms to develop a number of new revenue generating products, leveraging open source and big data technologies. These include new data integration, advanced analytics, visualization, aggregation and smart data initiatives that address new customer needs and are highly visible and strategic within the organisation.
These initiatives are using best of breed technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark, HDFS, Kafka, SOLR, Cassandra and AWS along with in-house developed technologies, and the successful candidate will be working in a fast paced, dynamic team environment, building commercial products which are at the heart of the business.
The successful candidate will be part of IHS Markit's Financial Risk Analytics team, a global team of financial analytics experts and software developers building advanced analytics solutions for the financial industry. He/she will use the aforementioned technologies to build state of the art software and data analytics used for trading and risk management at leading global financial institutions. Duties & accountabilities
- Design and implement "Big Data" infrastructure for batch and real-time analytics.
- Ensure highly interactive response times. Avoid allowing performance bottlenecks to creep into the system.
- Interpret and analyse business use-cases and feature requests into technical designs and development tasks.
- Be an active player in system architecture and design discussions.
- Take ownership of development tasks, participate in regular design and code review meetings.
- Be proud of the high quality of your own work.
- Work with a number of teams (in multiple worldwide locations).
- Always follow quality standards (unit tests, integration tests and documented code).
- Be delivery focused, have a passion for technology and will enjoy offering new ideas and approaches. Education and expertise Essential
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Computer Science and Software Engineering : Strong software development experience: Ability to build production software in Scala or Python
- Distributed file systems/databases/systems
- Be able to demonstrate commercial experience on big data/advanced analytics projects
- Knowledge of algorithms, data structures, computational complexity.
- Functional programming
- Git Preferred
- Hadoop, HDFS, YARN, Spark, Hive, NoSQL databases, SOLR, Kafka, Druid
- AWS: EC2, EMR, S3
- Experience financial risk management or financial services industry
- Visualisation: knowledge of visualisation styles and tools, and ability to programmatically create visualisations. Able to create visualisations that minimise time needed to understand complex data sets. HTML5/D3
- Apache Zeppelin
- SQL Management requirements
- You can effectively provide technical direction, and estimates to fulfill a set of requirements.
- You can effectively manage timelines and cross team coordination.
- You can follow relevant technology trends, actively evaluate new technologies, and use this information to improve the product
- You get a lot of satisfaction from on-time delivery.
- Happy clients are really important to you
- You take pride in your work. Personal competencies -
You love to solve complex problems, whether that's making the user experience as responsive as possible or understanding complex client requirements.
- You can confidently present your own ideas and solutions, as well as guide technical discussions.
- You can effectively communicate with external clients
- Your welcoming attitude encourages people to approach you when they have a problem you can help them solve.
IHS Markit is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or accommodation to use our website to apply to a position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only.
We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit is proud to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment drug testing. As a federal contractor in the United States, IHS Markit is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States. For information regarding legal rights and protections in the United States, please click on the following links:
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.