Director Marine Engineering/Naval Architecture
IHS Markit's Maritime and Trade Department is growing! We are developing an innovative team to cover increasingly key areas of the maritime industry: sustainability, decarbonization and the energy transition. To address the growing challenges and pressures the sector is facing regarding environmental regulations, the team aims to be dynamic, fast paced, and collaborative. This is an exciting time to join as we build up our sustainability and energy transition offering to various stakeholders of the maritime and trade value chain (shipping companies, ship finance banks, BCOs, regulators).
As a Subject Matter Expert (SME), you will be acting as the business champion connecting various internal and external stakeholders. Your expertise in marine engineering or naval architecture will allow you to become the interface between internal innovation projects and client projects applying bespoke data solutions. You will be part of a team delivering data-driven solutions accelerating the marine sector's decarbonization strategy to meet regional and international regulators targets. The solutions you will be involved in delivering cover areas of ship energy efficiency and emissions, fuel consumption estimates, operation optimization as well as disruptive technologies such as alternative fuels, hybridization and electrification of ships.
To be successful for this post you will have previous experience within a commercial setting and have an understanding of airborne pollution from shipping, assessing energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies, providing detailed fact finding, research, and analysis on energy-related activities and communicating solutions and new strategies to clients through reports and presentations.
Your responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
- Providing expert technical input to support the development, maintenance and delivery of energy transition related quantitative offerings through collaboration with our data science teams.
- Providing expert technical input and insight to internal and external discussions on emission reduction, energy efficiency and operational optimization; as well as on emerging technologies that will affect policy and regulation in the future of the shipping industry.
- Creating and maintaining strong links with industry/academia to develop an understanding of the technical aspects of the emerging technologies and associated risks, and how those risks can impact the industry's energy transition.
- Building expertise in ships carbon accounting from existing and new fuels perspective, as well as from a regulatory perspective so that technical advice can be given to the industry's various stakeholders.
- Qualified in naval architecture or marine engineering with post qualification experience working in shipping
- Brilliant communication style with the ability to relay messages to any target audience with ease, translating technical language into insightful recommendations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret data
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office
- Strong business ethics and the ability to maintain independence and objectivity
- Auditing experience in maritime emissions monitoring applications
- Experience as an ISO14001 environmental auditor
- Experience with EU MRV and IMO DCS regulations
- Experience with the MARPOL Annex VI
- Seagoing experience
- Tableau and Power BI proficiency
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.