About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Help the Group meet its commitment of being "Here for Good" by building a sustainable compliance framework that places regulatory and compliance best practice standards, and a culture of appropriate conduct at the forefront of the Group's agenda
- As an independent second line risk control function, execute the relevant aspects of the Compliance framework through robust independent risk control and the provision of specialist advice and constructive challenge in a manner proportionate to the nature, scale and complexity of the Group's business.
- Proactively support and challenge the Group's businesses and functions to exhibit appropriate conduct, comply with regulatory and compliance requirements and strive to achieve fair outcome for the Group's clients.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Group's compliance efforts.
- Support the management of the regulatory relationships with each of the regulators, whose rules the Group is subject to.
- Maintain constructive and effective relationships with Function Heads/Function Chief Operating Officers ("COOs"), and assist relevant CFCC staff to interface with and support all key stakeholders.
- Maintain independence, deliver timely responses, and timely escalation of risks and issues where they feel risk management tolerance of the firm are exceeded.
- Support and implement the vision, strategy, direction and leadership for Global Functions Compliance teams, consistent with Global Head, CFCC, CIB, CB, PvB and Functions ("Global Head") vision and strategy for the CFCC function and in support of the Bank's strategic direction and growth aspirations.
- Promote the culture and practice of compliance with compliance standards (including conducting business within regulatory requirements, and to high ethical standards) within the Bank and embed a Here for good culture and the Group Code of Conduct.
Functions - Group Human Resources, LCS functions (Legal, Corporate Secretariat, SIS) and Group Internal Audit ("Functions")
- Build and maintain an effective and constructive relationship with the key stakeholders that is based on trust, capability and integrity, providing timely, responsive and quality regulatory compliance advice and guidance to enable the functions to meet/ achieve their strategic tactical objectives.
- Provide robust challenge to senior management and all relevant functional stakeholders where activities are outside risk tolerance/ appetite, escalating as necessary, until appropriate oversight and ownership is achieved including actions and plans to address any remedial action needed to come back within risk tolerance/ appetite.
- Work closely with the functions to provide timely regulatory compliance advice to ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations and support the transition to pro-active and pre-emptive compliance and conduct risk mitigation.
Regular and diarised catch ups with key function stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain effective processes (including training, advice and support) to ensure that policies, and standards to address compliance risks (excluding financial crime) are effectively implemented and adhered to across Functions.
- Provide support and challenge to the Bank's senior management to ensure that they establish and monitor appropriate processes for compliance with compliance policies and standards (including meeting regulatory obligations and maintaining high standards of conduct).
People and Talent
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are competent, suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical role s.
- Responsibility to review team structure/capacity plans.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Regularly and on a timely basis appraise performance as well as proactively manage attrition when needed.
- Ensure regular and documented management meetings with direct reports.
- Assess competency and skill of the team on an ongoing basis to ensure alignment of skill set to the risk management demands of the business.
- Ensure teams are adequately resourced and capacitised.
- Act as Risk Owner under the Group's Enterprise Risk Management Framework for Functions processes where Compliance is the second line owner. Risk Ownership responsibilities to align with delegated authorities.
- In collaboration with relevant senior managers, support a programme for compliance monitoring, surveillance and assurance for Functions.
- Ensure effective management of compliance matters, and in collaboration with the rest of the CFCC team, effectively manage regulatory issues that have a significant impact on the Bank.
- Collaborate with the other Products CFCC teams, Business CFCC teams and the CFCC Management Group to anticipate horizon risks that may have a significant impact on the Bank and develop effective strategies to mitigate such horizon risks including global standards for conduct of business.
- In the event of serious regulatory breaches, or where risk tolerances have been breached, ensure senior management in the Bank and relevant regulators are informed and that actions are taken quickly to remediate and/or activities are ceased. Ensure proactive and timely identification, assessment, advice and dissemination of evolving regulatory changes/practices and associated risks, and proactive engagement in regulatory reform.
- Assist and work closely with Shared Investigative Services (SIS) in relation to investigations concerning the Functions
- Provide reports to relevant Group and Functions risk and control committees and management group on key compliance risks and issues and as required under the Prudential Compliance Framework.
- Within the Group's overall Enterprise Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain appropriate risk based compliance frameworks for identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, mitigating and reporting compliance (including regulatory and financial crime) risks across GCFO Functions.
- Develop and recommend (for approval by the relevant Risk Committee), appropriate compliance policies and procedures.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Functions Compliance team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets, Financial Crime Prevention; Creating the Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Prudential Regulation Authority, Financial Conduct Authority and other key regulators of the Group
- Senior Functions Management
- Functions COOs
- Operational Risk
- Internal Audit
- Financial Crime Compliance
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Global Functions Compliance Team.
- Degree or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience
- Compliance experience
- Understanding of UK and European regulation and the PRA/FCA regulatory framework.
- Preferred an understanding of the Group's organisational structure and internal procedures.
- Excellent and proven oral and written communication skills - ability to present technical information clearly and concisely.
- Networker. Comfortable dealing with senior managers across different countries and cultures. Tactful and discreet, confidentiality a must.
- Excellent organisation skills, with ability to multi-task. Prioritises activities/projects according to business need - puts in effort to ensure activities completed on schedule and to high quality required.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced, sometimes demanding environment.
- Pays attention to detail.
- Proactive and creative approach to work, self motivated and pragmatic
- Takes responsibility and accountability for own tasks.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.