Linux System Engineer - UNIX Engineering
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Unix Engineering is a global team that architects and manages the Linux, Virtualization, and Server Hardware computing platform at Goldman Sachs.
The Unix engineering team works closely with application developers and strategists to build and deploy technology solutions at Goldman Sachs. The team supports an internal cloud platform, is developing solutions for deploying applications on public cloud offerings, and is releasing a next-generation compute platform.
The Linux System Engineer role is responsible for supporting business units' compute requirements and maintaining core infrastructure systems. This includes topics such as system configuration management, performance testing and tuning, and application and service troubleshooting. Linux System Engineers also delve into new technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, SaltStack, OpenShift and more), understanding how each can be introduced and engineered to support the continued evolution of our highly-scalable compute platform. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS RESPONSIBILITIES
- Own and engineer the Linux compute platform at the firm
- Write tooling to automate tasks and implement/scale/test infrastructure services
- Interact regularly with internal clients and partner engineering teams across the organization
- Help evolve, architect, and integrate system deployments on public cloud platforms
- Work closely with 1 st - and 2 nd -level organizations to perform deeply technical troubleshooting
- Develop and implement technical solutions and process improvements to improve reliability and efficiency
- Hands-on experience with architecture, implementation and operation of a Linux-based compute environment
- In-depth knowledge of the Linux OS, advanced network concepts, knowledge of traditional storage platforms, firewalls, and load balancers
- Experience administering or architecting implementations on Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, or Microsoft Azure PaaS/IaaS platforms
- Significant experience using system configuration management tools (e.g. Chef, Ansible, SaltStack, Puppet, cfengine, etc.) to manage compute infrastructure at scale
- Demonstrable experience in setting and meeting project goals when implementing and integrating complex technology concepts
- Expertise in at least one scripting and/or high level language: shell, Python, Node.js, Perl, Golang, preferably with experience using REST API interfaces, and using version management (e.g. Git, Subversion)
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science or Engineering program, or equivalent professional experience
- Hands-on experience with containerization technologies and tools: OpenShift, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience deploying infrastructure or configuration as code: Terraform, cloud-init, Ansible
- Experience using/developing against relational and nosql databases
- Experience using serverless architectures, such as AWS Lambda or Google Cloud Functions
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers .
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https:// www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity