Software Development Manger - S3 Asynchronous Compute
Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) provides a key-value interface to an infinitely scalable and durable storage system. We build and run the largest commercial storage system in the world with trillions of objects and regularly serving millions of requests per second. As a highly available Amazon service, our solutions have to be scalable, efficient, and extremely fault tolerant.
The S3 Events and Realtime Insights team provide building blocks to enable customers to build end-to-end event-driven systems from S3, such as triggering transcoding when a video is uploaded or running serverless compute operations when an object is created. We also provide real-time data on the usage of S3 and partner with other teams such as AWS CloudTrail and Amazon GuardDuty to build real-time analytics and insights into customer usage.
We're looking for a new Software Development Manager (SDM) to join the team in Cambridge, UK. You'll make our customers' lives better through the features and service improvements that you own and deliver, and will work with other leaders to guide both the success of the Cambridge office, and S3 as a whole. As part of our team, you'll be able to bring innovation and execute on new ideas that will raise the bar on what our customers can achieve with S3.
As an SDM and service owner in S3, the primary responsibilities of this role are:
• Hiring and developing your team. A successful service starts with a great team, and delivering through others is your primary responsibility.
• Defining and executing on a roadmap for your service. You'll know and talk with your customers on a regular basis, as well as using data and metrics to understand how your service is used, and build and deliver on a roadmap that delights them.
• Making the operation of your service safe and sustainable. Leaders in AWS know the details of their service and prioritise the right improvements to keep things running smoothly.
• Project ownership. You'll drive execution of projects within your team and work with your peers to keep everyone aligned. You'll clearly and transparently communicate status to leadership and get help where needed to keep your team unblocked.
• Contributing to the overall AWS S3 Cambridge leadership team. You'll be part of defining our culture, ensuring our teams have everything they need to be productive and excited to work at AWS, and helping to drive site-wide initiatives that improve life for all our teams.
• Participating in a modest on-call rotation once every 2-3 months.
You should be passionate about attracting & developing a world-class team that welcomes, celebrates, and leverages a diverse set of backgrounds and skill-sets to deliver results. Driving results through others is your primary responsibility, and doing so in a way that builds on our inclusive culture is key to our long-term success.
S3 is family-oriented and values work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Cambridge office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have a modest on-call rotation where you'll participate once every 2-3 months.
We at AWS value individual expression, respect different opinions, and work together to create a culture where each of us is able to contribute fully. Our unique backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our ability to achieve Amazon's mission of being Earth's most customer-centric company.
The Cambridge S3 team is fun, ambitious, growing, and a great place to be able to have impact. If you're a passionate software engineering leader excited about leading a team solving difficult problems, at the challenging scale of AWS, we'd love to hear from you. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar, or comparable years of experience
• Several years experience of building, retaining, and managing high performing diverse and inclusive teams of engineers
• Proven skills in designing and developing solutions to complex problems in a large scale enterprise environment
• A track record of delivery for large, cross-functional projects, including building roadmaps to meet organizational business goals on time PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with big data and massively-scaled distributed computing
• Demonstrated technical judgment with a customer focus
• Proven verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions to executives and non-technical leaders
• Experience with AWS technologies (e.g., S3, Simple Queue Service, Simple Notification Service, Kinesis, DynamoDB)
• Masters of Science or PhD Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or similar
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and successful background screening check. This will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a relevant criminal check.