Operational Engineer Storage
Who we're looking for
We're looking for an Availability and Capacity Manager who thrives on ensuring technology services are monitored, reported, and available across the estate.
We've got a new site, new teams, and new ways of working. So we want someone who can build, lead, and take responsibility of this new area. You'll challenge the Technical service owners to manage the capacity and availability of the services in their Capability areas, to ensure availability of critical and everyday resources at a justifiable cost. And you'll help them to report on this information, determine corrective actions, and deliver great service all the time. As part of the new Governance team, you'll provide complete visibility and oversight of availability and capacity management across Infrastructure and Production Services.
You'll be on the frontline - busy, hands-on, and can-do. Making sure the Capability teams have everything they need to do their best. And always looking for ways to improve our service. About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 4,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The base
You'll be based at our new Broadlands Business Campus near Horsham in West Sussex. That's home to our new Technology Operations Centre.
It's a brand new site, and a brand new team, putting digital first. So we're looking for people who are excited about setting things up, shaking things up, and working across teams. It's a chance to shape how we work rather than slot into an established structure.
It'll have same high standards and international reputation as our HQ in the City of London, without being in the city: a big, countryside campus (and no commute on the Tube) means life will feel a little different.
The role is part of a brand new global Governance team, so we're looking for people who are excited about setting things up, shaking things up, and working across teams. It's a chance to shape how we work rather than slot into an established structure. We support our international offices by developing, rolling out and maintaining our systems and processes, using cutting-edge software and hardware. Our new Broadlands Business Campus means there's a great working environment for the team.
We know that helping you balance personal and professional commitments is a big part of that, so we're open to flexible working. You can do this job from 3 to 5 days per week. What you'll do
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- Work as part of a Global multi-locational cross-matrix team in a dynamic and high pressured environment
- Responsible for a defined Product (or Products) within the scope of the Global Serviceline.
- Responsible for the Products Global Policies and Standards
- Responsible for the Products Global roadmap, and future related Products.
- Work with all Role Levels to ensure the delivery of suitable Product training within the Global Serviceline
- Research, suggest and introduce new related Products that may provide a business benefit to Schroders in terms of cost and / or competitiveness in the market
- Responsible for vendor relationship management for the related Product(s)
- Form a professional working relationship with Global colleagues to ensure the Product is delivered as expected
- Form a professional working relationship with all levels of the Global Serviceline, including Service Desk, Operations and Engineering teams.
- Responsible for ensuring the service provided by the Global Product meets or exceeds Business requirements.
- Availability Management - Responsible for ensuring the Global Product(s) meets or exceeds the availability requirements of the Business.
- Capacity Management - Responsible for working with Service Management to ensure the Global Product(s) meets or exceeds the capacity requirements of the Business
- Responsible for ensuring that Schroders Information Security policies and standards are adhered to for the Global Product(s)
- Responsible for ensuring that Schroders Compliance policies and standards are adhered to for the Global Product(s)
- Responsible for risk management for the related Global Product(s)
- Provide cost effective and operationally efficient design services related to the Product(s) using automation where possible
- Awareness of the budget relating to the Product(s) , including implementing cost savings where available
- Proactively seek continual service improvements opportunities
- Responsible for the design of the defined Product(s) in the Global Serviceline
- Responsible for providing Product engagement for any related solutions at the Design stage to ensure policies and standards are adhered to
- Responsible for ensuring Serviceline Products complete sufficient Global Service Transition through to live
- Ensure that suitable and sufficient training of the Product(s) is provided to all levels of the serviceline as well as other teams where necessary
- Act as the Global Product Champion within Schroders, representing the Product(s) where necessary
- Act as a point of escalation for the Product(s), providing guidance, support and expertise when required as part of normal activities, projects and incidents
- Provide the highest level of internal customer relationship management at all times
- Out of hours work, weekend work and being on-call will be required
- Minimum 3 years experience as an Engineer or Senior Operations role
- Minimum 10 years experience in the IT industry
- Solution design experience
- Architectural governance experience
- Vendor relationship management experience
- Experience of leading and working as part of a technical global team
- Experience in evidentially based testing through all stages of the testing lifecycle
- An understanding of the importance of metrics and statistics when measuring performance and capacity
- Performance troubleshooting experience through the stack from Storage > SAN > Host > VM > Database
- In-depth technical knowledge of the following:
- Pure storage (//m and //x series)
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- In-depth technical knowledge of the following...
- Pure storage (//m and //x series)
- Filer Storage (Isilon)
- Filer Storage (NetApp)
- Storage Area Network (SAN) Technologies - Cisco MDS and Brocade
- UCS B class and C class servers
- VMWare (ESXi 6+)
- Asynchronous / Synchronous replication
- Automation tools
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
- Experience of working in the financial sector
- Experience, knowledge or a qualification in the ITIL Framework
- Experience of ServiceNow
- Experience of Splunk
- Knowledge of backup solutions
- Knowledge of Hitachi Data Systems (VSP)
- Knowledge of HP 3PAR
- Knowledge of XIO
- Knowledge of Filer Storage (Windows VM Filers)
- Working in an Agile environment
- A degree-level qualification in a computing or technical discipline
- An understanding of Infrastructure as Code
- An understanding of hyper converged technologies
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.