Business Analytics Manager
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION Salary: Competitive Closing date for applications: 4 August 2019
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management is one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With US $1 trillion in assets under management as of 1 June 2019, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 50 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
The Business Analytics Team was formed to:
- Produce materials and analyses that better position Wellington Management to win and retain business
- Enhance market, investment, business, and competitive intelligence to more effectively prepare our personnel for client, consultant, and prospect meetings and to better position our products in the marketplace
- Develop analytics and intelligence that better inform the firm's priorities and areas to focus
- Create focused, insightful, timely, and flexible analytics for use across the firm
- Increase work efficiency and scale via automated business solutions
The Business Analytics Manager will work with IPS colleagues, the Global Relationship Group, and other business units across the firm. The Manager will be involved in the day-to-day activities of the Business Analytics team across a range of areas. Key areas of focus:
- Competitive Intelligence
- Automation/Business Reporting Solutions
- Business, Industry, and Market Trends & Analytics
- The Manager of the team will also coordinate closely with the Director of the team and others to establish the curriculum and strategic vision of the team to best provide impact to our clients externally and internally. As such, the manager will need to develop and demonstrate effective skills in the following areas:
- Training and Development of people, especially early-mid career talent
- Work closely with Director on an on-going basis to define and expertly execute the priorities of the team
- Skill in working with the Director on writing reviews and creating effective development plans for people on the team
- Ability to communicate feedback effectively
- Aptitude to not only manage, but to work closely with the Director on the mentorship and advocacy of the team and its individuals as appropriate
- Capacity to listen exceptionally well and absorb stress
- Capability to raise awareness globally of our team's solutions and to customize them as needed by asset class and/or channel
- As a subject matter expert, partner with business stakeholders to identify the key elements of Competitive Intelligence initiatives; determine the project scope, data source(s), coordinate tactical support, and allocate business and technology resources.
- Collaborate with industry data, research, and analytics providers such as Morningstar, eVestment, FactSet, Mercer, Lipper, MSCI, Style Analytics, Broadridge on improvement of analytical capabilities and data quality.
- Aptitude to skillfully navigate the people and thought-partners that we interact with externally and internally each day. For example, this roles requires the Manager to liaise between the Investment Science and Mosaic-Tech teams in the development of internal risk dashboards. Define project specifications for portfolio performance and risk, peer relative performance, attribution and metadata components.
- Provide/coordinate training on internal and external application/platform usage and methodologies
- Work directly with senior management to review the platform and firm-level report inventory. Optimize the content and accessibility of several performance and risk packages. Coordinate enhancement and new report development processes with the COO/Investment Platform and technology teams.
- Perform market and peer research for thematic investment platforms such as income and sustainable investing.
- Enhance internal and external scalable reporting in order to increase IPS, GRG/client services, and marketing teams' ability to leverage and distribute information on performance, risk, ESG and carbon metrics.
- Allocate team resources across ongoing firm initiatives; identify broader contribution areas for team resources, particularly Business Associates, based on diverse skills and interests.
- Participate in a wide array of thematic, operational, compliance, and product development initiatives
The ideal candidate should have, but not be limited to, the following qualifications:
- Extensive, relevant experience in the investment industry, preferably with diverse experience in business analytics, technology, and markets
- Strong academic record, including a CFA and/or MBA
- Proven success in managing complex and time sensitive projects
- A proven successful track-record of developing people, especially early-mid career talent
- Demonstrated problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient to Fluent in usage and methodology of the following tools, platforms and languages:
- FactSet, Barra, Style Analytics
- Morningstar, eVestment, Lipper, Mercer, Broadridge, PPIQ, EPFR
- MSCI ESG, Sustainalytics, Trucost, Oekom
- Tableau, Salesforce, Spotfire
- SQL, VBA, SAS/STAT, Matlab
Business Analytics Manager JOB FAMILY
Product Management LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .