A great opportunity to join a top energy trading company helping them provide risk management support, carrying out quant assessments to validate and improve their modelling.
Commodities Quant Risk Analyst
Our client trades LNG, gas, power and energy attributes - and connects independent producers, suppliers and corporate off-takers in the wholesale energy markets.
This team provides a risk management capability to support commodity trading activities, origination and asset development. You will provide a high quality, flexible, analysis service within the department. The team carry out quantitative assessments to validate and improve their modelling developments, develop internal risk models, review & assess complex transactions and help the firm maximize value and control risk exposure.
You will play an important part in the work of the Risk Department and make a significant contribution to their capabilities in this area. The role will provide an excellent opportunity to gain experience of a variety of significant business and quantitative issues across different areas. This, together with the opportunity for exposure to senior management, will help to provide an excellent platform for possible longer-term career development within one of the UK's leading energy companies.
- Advise upon, and contribute to, ongoing model development for valuation and risk measurement, carrying out reviews and validation of Front Office models to help ensure best practice is followed.
- Directly contribute to the design, construction and implementation of Risk models.
- Undertake high quality assessments of a wide range of potential complex transactions, carrying out modelling and analysis as necessary, advising upon the value and risk-related quantitative issues associated with the proposals and, where necessary, providing constructive challenge to help ensure the proposals are robust.
- Assess and advise on quantitative risk-related aspects of commercial issues as required and facilitate ongoing development of their risk control capability.
- Work effectively with other team members in Risk, with quantitative analysts, traders and originators and with other teams, including members of the asset development teams.
- Communicate the results of analyses clearly, including to senior management, in a way which adds significant value to business decisions.
- Very strong level of educational background within a highly quantitative subject (mathematics, quantitative finance, operational research, science, engineering or similar).
- Good understanding of quantitative finance and related risk issues including derivative principles, option valuation, probability and statistics; coupled with a strong practical, and business focused, approach to modelling, valuation and risk management.
- Ability to review and validate complex models.
- Strong modelling and related programming skills (e.g. including model development experience; exposure to Python or similar and VBA) and the ability to build complex models.
- Understanding of, or a keen interest and desire to learn about, energy markets is essential; experience in a high calibre energy-related trading environment would be highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate complex issues in a clear, understandable manner with the front office quants team, traders, originators, asset developers, finance, Risk and other teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines in a trading-related Risk environment.
- High attention to detail in both numerical analysis and written work.
- Strong team working and influencing skills.
- The ability to objectively and constructively challenge proposals for new modelling and transactions, whilst maintaining good working relationships.
- Strong appetite for practical and high-quality problem solving in a fast-moving commercial environment.