One of our clients, a French global Investment Bank, is looking to increase their capacity with experienced Core Java Developers.
eRates IT is a dynamic team of 30+ people worldwide, in charge of developing the global electronic trading platform for fixed income interest rates products.
In-scope instruments are all electronically-traded government bonds, swaps, futures and repos in all currencies worldwide, with a specific focus on EUR and USD.
The team is headquartered in London with a substantial extension in New York, as well as local representation in Tokyo and Singapore, and Mumbai.
The platform itself is an ecosystem of over 15 distinct, loosely coupled applications covering a wide range of functionality from pricing, quotation, auto-negotiation and execution to market aggregation, virtual markets and auto-hedging.
In Production, the application suite operates under real-time, low latency constraints, reacting to potentially “spiky” market conditions.
Backend applications are primarily written in Java, with some C++ exceptions for Windows binding and legacy, while the multi-purpose client application is written in C#. Tibco RV is currently used as the middleware between front and backend, with alternative solutions being introduced where low-latency is paramount.
For market connectivity and abstraction, the platform relies on both ION Trading software and internally-developed adaptors. Two distinct ION Trading environments are in operation, supporting the European and American businesses from London and New York respectively.
Another 3rd party product, Apama by Software AG, is currently used for the application of “smart” auto-hedging and trading strategies.
Regulatory, market and corporate strategy considerations have recently raised the profile and business criticality of the eRates programme. The team has embarked on a highly scrutinised piece of work for the next 3 years aiming to:
- Support all desks through their business transformation from voice to electronic trading – leveraging the existing pricing and quotation platform;
- Assist the emergence of profitable, fully automatic, algo-driven market making operations;
- Provide clients and sales teams with relevant tools in support of the Bank’s flow electronic franchise;
- Align chosen solutions across Rates and Credit electronic platforms.
Responsibilities will include:
- Delivering any assigned task to Production as per time, non-functional and functional requirements – in particular, ensuring deliveries meet adequate levels of testability, at unit, component and integration levels;
- Liaising directly with business users over requirement gathering;
- Focusing on the platform’s non-functional behaviour: performance, scalability, security etc – and making sure that tests in this area are repeatable;
- Promoting knowledge sharing within team members – taking active involvement in organising and chairing poker-sizing sessions with all concerned parties as and when required;
- Ensuring smooth liaison with other teams, both inside and outside IRG ETS IT where appropriate (eg London/NY Dev teams, Production support teams, etc);
- Documenting new functionalities and training users/support teams support as appropriate;
- Leading by example: ensuring that own behaviour as developer exhibits the team’s values of dedication, commitment and transparency at all times and under all circumstances.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
- University degree in any quantitative discipline (math, computer science, engineering).
- Proven significant and recent SDLC experience on mature, enterprise multi-threaded core Java development projects – greenfield projects should be a minority.
- Significant prior exposure to high frequency, low latency programming environments – typically in the context of electronic trading for Equities, Commodities, FX or Rates.
- C/C++ and JNI experience is desirable but not an absolute requirement.
- Knowledge of ION Marketview and its programming environment would be a plus.
- Good knowledge of the following financial instruments, their pricing and/or quotation on most common markets: bonds, swaps, futures, repos is a plus.
- Organised and delivery-focused, with attention to detail
- Articulate in their verbal and written communication with all types of project stakeholders: colleagues, users, management, etc
- Accountable, ie taking full ownership of their allocated tasks
- Comfortable operating with a strong level of autonomy
- Pro-active in general, taking own initiatives to prevent risks/issues
- Team player
- Fluent in English
- Role model, supporting and fostering a culture of good conduct
- Demonstrate proactivity, transparency and accountability for identifying and managing conduct risks
- Consider the implications of your actions on colleagues, partners and clients before making decisions, and escalate issues to your manager when unsure.