Transaction Reporting Technology is going through a major transformation, building a brand-new cloud-native, cross-asset, and multi-jurisdictional transaction reporting platform to comply with multi-jurisdiction reporting obligations, keep pace with regulatory changes, mitigate risks, increase operational efficiencies, and provide robust controls and assurance framework for Regulatory Operations (RegOps).
We are seeking a talented and passionate Database Engineer who has substantial proficiency in a broad range of database design and development of distributed applications. You must have a deep understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases, logical and physical database design, query optimization, and database performance techniques. You will work in a geographically dispersed team of Software Engineers, Business Analysts, and Product teams. Key Responsibilities
- Work closely with engineers, business analysts, and product owners to design scalable, reliable, and efficient databases for various microservices
- Create logical and physical database models based on the business requirements and microservice design specifications
- Write Infrastructure as a code to provision and manage databases
- Perform code reviews for database related application changes
- Continuously monitor, review, optimise, and refactor existing database tables and queries
- Coordinate with engineers to improve applications, redesign tables to improve performance, and establish best practices and patterns
- Proactively identify and fix database issues, optimize databases for performance and reliability.
- Create and improve database tooling to detect and triage database related issues and performance bottlenecks
- Prepare and improve documentation for database design and configuration
- Great problem-solving skills, and the ability and confidence to hack their way out of tight corners
- Strong organisational skills and ability to successfully manage multiple tasks
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
About the Corporate Operations Group
- Demonstrated experience working closely with software engineering teams to design and build databases for distributed applications
- Expert-level knowledge and internal working of PostgreSQL database including PostgreSQL support for JSON
- Hands-on experience with SQL and table design for large databases (multiple terabytes of data)
- Strong understanding and experience of AWS cloud storage, compute, and database services such as S3, Glacier, RDS Postgres, Redshift, etc.
- Knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under different scenarios with good knowledge of distributed query engines such as Apache Impala and Presto
- Knowledge of database design principles and performance tuning (query optimisation, including query tuning, indexing, partitioning, etc.)
- Experience in monitoring database performance, identification, and resolution of performance issues
- Strong understanding of development methodologies and ability to efficiently write database code without compromising performance
- Experience of NoSQL/big data technologies such as Apache Hadoop, Hive, Spark
- Familiar with container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, EKS, ECS, etc.
- Familiar with software development - server side/backend and UI web applications
The Corporate Operations Group brings together specialist support services in Digital Transformation & Data, Technology, Operations, Human Resources, Business Services, Business Improvement & Strategy, and the Macquarie Group Foundation. We deliver service excellence to ensure Macquarie is open for business, deliver on transformational change, invest in our people and have deep relationships with our customers. Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The diversity of our people is one of our greatest strengths, and an inclusive workplace enables us to embrace that diversity to deliver more innovative and sustainable solutions for our people, clients, shareholders and communities. At Macquarie, you'll be encouraged to be yourself and supported to perform at your best. If you're inspired to deliver on our purpose of 'empowering people to innovate and invest for a better future', we want you on our team. If you need adjustments made to the recruitment process, please reach out to your recruiter.
As an inclusive employer, Macquarie does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (including colour and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief.
Joining Macquarie means you'll be able to work in a way that suits you best. With the right technology, support and resources, our people can work in a range of flexible ways. Talk to us about what working arrangements would help you thrive.