About our client
Our client is an entrepreneurial mid-market private equity investment firm which is looking for an ESG Manager to develop its sustainability programme, supporting the firm through all stages of the investment life cycle. What the job involves
Who we are looking for
- Continuing to drive the firm's ESG agenda and liaising with counterparts across the firm to ensure best practice with a collaborative approach to achieving all ESG goals.
- Keeping up to date with ESG trends, market developments, industry standards and all relevant regulations, determining which are relevant to the firm and how to translate these into actionable improvements.
- Ensuring the firm's Responsible Investment Policy and Strategy are kept up to date and implemented throughout all stages of the investment life cycle:
- Working with the investment team to assess key ESG risks and opportunities for potential investments.
- Support on ESG due diligence for new deals.
- Proactive engagement with the management teams of portfolio companies, selecting the key KPIs to collate and monitor across the portfolio and rolling out the firm's target-setting process.
- Providing direct support to portfolio companies where needed to ensure that progress continues to be made on their company specific ESG Action Plans, managing the annual portfolio company ESG questionnaires (including keeping these updated in light of current industry areas of focus).
- Producing annual PRI reports, all investor questionnaires and queries.
- Preparation of ESG content for marketing and fundraising materials and an annual ESG Report.
- Identifying and coordinating ESG training needs for the wider firm.
- Working with external consultants on the firm's carbon footprint assessment and development of a climate strategy at both firm and portfolio level.
- Networking and building relationships within the industry including the firm's engagement with the UNPRI.
- Experience in sustainability/ESG gained in either the consulting sector or an inhouse ESG position, ideally within the private equity sector.
- Technical knowledge of ESG issues, including European policy and regulatory developments, and the ability to translate this into specific tangible actions.
- Ability to undertake independent research on emerging topics, industry guidance and regulatory developments, and concisely summarise key points and how they may impact the firm, funds or portfolio.
- Sufficient experience and stature to be credible working independently with portfolio management teams; influence the investment team; build a strong external network, and in presenting to LPs.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to analyse and use data to highlight trends and communicate data in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work autonomously and proactively.
- Highly motivated and passionate about sustainability topics.
- Language skills would be a huge advantage, particularly Spanish, Italian and/or French.