Engineering Manager - Cloud Native Infrastructure
- Standort: London, England, Großbritannien
- Gehalt: Competitive
- Art des Jobangebots: Vollzeit
Engineering Manager - Cloud Native InfrastructureIn January 2018, we launched one of the industry's largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn't greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we've started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We're using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: aggressive use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, pushing out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world, leveraging immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data a day, transforming our industry through application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing, aggressively participating in open source communities driving our systems.
This role is to manage the team that is responsible for our shared infrastructure in the Cloud Native Computing ecosystem. The platform that we are responsible for is based on Kubernetes (pure upstream: we believe in Kubernetes The Hard Way) along with a host of other ancillary technologies (such as fluentd, envoy, Istio, Calico, Helm). The team's remit is a true 24x7 DevOps mandate.
While the team is geographically distributed, the bulk of engineering is based in London and Belfast, and you would be based in our London offices. This role is not open to fully remote candidates, nor does the team have fully remote employees.
Reporting directly to the Global Head of Application Infrastructure, you will manage the team responsible for our Cloud Native Service infrastructure globally.
- You will be responsible for a number of different engineering teams, each with a maximum of 10 members with a technical lead. These teams are true DevOps teams and collectively have a 24x7 operational support mandate through a follow-the-sun engineering and support model.
- You will recruit, lead, mentor, and develop the skills of the team. We have aggressive hiring and talent development targets in a number of different regions (in particular London/Belfast, Austin, and a location in AsiaPac to be chosen early 2019)
- You will work with product ownership, project management, and technical leads to prioritize feature and task roadmaps across multiple functional areas
- You will directly manage shared capabilities across the engineering teams (such as testing, SRE, UI/UX, and documentation staff)
- You will act as an escalation point for key operational issues
- You will report on functional and non-functional deliverables and KPIs and have a significant role in the entire group meeting its deliverables and KPIs
- You will periodically travel to key State Street engineering locations to support the team (primarily Belfast, Austin, and AsiaPac) and other State Street locations to work with peers and internal clients (for example Boston and Poland).
Successful candidates will:
- Have experience managing an infrastructure DevOps team, preferably in a highly regulated environment (finance, defence, etc.). We don't expect you to understand the Cloud Native Computing/Kubernetes ecosystem, but we do expect you to learn what you need to be effective at your job.
- Have experience managing teams, preferably following the Spotify playbook, of 20+ engineers
- Be familiar with working with 24x7 follow-the-sun support models, including the needs of shift handoff and distributed office coordination
- Be comfortable balancing the needs of new product/feature development with managing technical debt and operational support requirements
- Have excellent English language communication skills
- Believe in the servant leadership model of management
- Originally come from a technical background of some kind
- Experience working in technology development and/or management
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company