Engineering Team Lead
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description
Octopus Labs is hiring a Team lead to lead a team that build high volume FinTech platforms from the ground up.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Team Lead will be a visible leader from a technical background who is responsible for both people and delivery management within their team whilst also still being a hands-on coder within that team.
This is an excellent opportunity to utilise both your management and delivery expertise whilst also adding technical value and utilising your coding skills at the same time.
You will work closely with the Product Managers to understand the Product roadmaps and plan and estimate current priorities and future delivery with the team and the Tech Lead. You will own and run the day to day Scrum ceremonies and task management for the developers and QA and empower the team to deliver high quality, secure and scalable products.
You will manage, mentor and support the careers of your team of around 5 developers, both Python and React, with technical direction from the Tech Lead where appropriate.
As a Senior Developer within the team you will contribute to the quality build of our Fintech products in collaboration with the Tech Lead and the rest of the development team. US:
OUR TECH STACK
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe.
- We love entrepreneurs.
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 19 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
At Octopus Labs we're building a suite of micro-services in Python, running on Tornado and hosted on Kubernetes in Google Cloud with MySQL databases. Our front-end developers use React, and we utilise Jenkins for our deployment pipeline and Sentry for exception reporting. We are integrating everything, from our own micro-services to third-party tools, into Slack. WHY Octopus?
- Flexible working hours
- Stunning office
- Competitive Salary + benefits
- Diverse/multinational team Qualifications
- You have experience in developing the technical skills and careers of others within a team, mentoring and guiding objectives
- You have been responsible for the task management and agile delivery of software projects as either a delivery manager or Scrum Master
- You can foster a positive, collaborative team spirit with a can-do attitude
- You are the tech team's representative for the project, you lead planning, delivery and estimation discussions and are the voice of the team in meetings where the whole team is not involved
- You will collaborate with the Tech Lead to ensure alignment of solutions, best practice and adherence to secure coding standards and the SDLC
- Experience in a regulated financial business would be an advantage