Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for the Head of Accounting and Financial Controlling who is looking to bring their functional expertise to the exciting and innovative blockchain industry. At Wintermute, you will be responsible for building high-performing Accounting and Financial Controlling function. You will have an opportunity to design and shape this function, create best-in-class processes and tools, while also getting advice and guidance from multi-functional teams. You will get a lot of independence and responsibility right away, and you'll learn at an unprecedented speed! No legacy systems, no corporate bureaucracy, yet highest standards of compliance and business ethics. It is up to you to make an impact! Building this function is strategically important to Wintermute and you will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will work with other management team and senior members of Wintermute team.
You will be joining one of the fastest growing startups in one of the most dynamic industries out there, so the role is going to be very dynamic and quite varied. You will have to understand the pig picture of our plan, build things fast and be prepared to be very hands-on as needed. The role will be varied, but the key projects are highlighted below.
What will you work on
- Build scalable internal accounting function that produces accurate monthly Management Reports within 5 days of the months closure and Annual Accounting within 1 months of year end
- Transition the key accounting processes from external accounting providers in house, evaluate which processes may stay outsourced
- Optimize all reconciliations of revenue, expenses, assets and liabilities and equity
- Introduce the cross-subsidiary consolidation processes
- Drive automation of as many processes as possible, from working with middle office and trading teams on automating trading data to selecting/implementing the right ERP and reporting
- Prepare the function for big4 audit and drive external the audit for the financial year 2021
- Improve/automate payment of invoices and expenses, coordinate payroll processes
- Look for ways to optimize relevant expenses, taxes and accounting treatments of various financial instruments
- Optimize reporting, both internal management reporting, external reporting (to partners, authorities, etc.), and reporting for investors/auditors
Hard Skills Requirements
- BSc in Accounting, Finance or other relevant field with a significant quantitative element
- Recognized accounting certifications
- At least 5 years experience in a senior accounting or financial control role in a high-performance environment; experience working in trading companies/hedge funds would be an advantage but not a requirement
- Experience working with very high volume businesses (e.g., high-volume trading, payments) where the volume of data goes above and beyond Excel
- Experience at one of the Big 4 accounting/audit firms is a significant advantage
- Experience with best-in-class automation systems and functions where scalability is driven by technology, rather than headcount and manual work
- Experience (or own research and interest) with accounting treatment of various financial instruments (derivatives, investments, etc.) and crypto assets would be a significant advantage
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical
- Love problem solving, and love seeing the tangible results of you work
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- A unique opportunity to join a high growth startup and one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch (Singapore office is in the works)
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable
- Prepare to be tested on our hard skills requirements
- Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
- Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!