(i) the provision of legal services to ABC International Bank plc and its subsidiaries (“Bank ABC”) and Arab Banking Corporation London branch (the “ABC London Branch”) on all matters which affect the business of the organization including transactions, commercial and regulatory matters, and any litigious matters that may arise from time to time;
(ii) ensuring that pragmatic, effective legal support is provided to all areas of Bank ABC and the ABC London Branch;
(iii) ensuring that Bank ABC and the ABC London Branch act within the law; and
(iv) legal services to the wider Bank ABC Group in relation to trade finance matters which are in English and which are subject to English law or standard international trade finance rules.
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
• Provide pragmatic, effective and accurate legal advice (on English law) and support for Bank ABC and the ABC London Branch related to transactions and assist in the structuring of transactions;
• Provide support to Bank ABC’s European branches as required;
• Provide support in relation to trade finance transactions to the wider Bank ABC Group network (subject to the queries being in English and subject to English law or standard international trade finance rules);
• Draft transaction documentation where it is within in-house capabilities to do so;
• Instruct external legal services where the legal advice/skills required cannot be provided in-house, developing good relations with external providers and ensuring that optimal services are provided, taking into account cost efficiency and excellence of service;
• Ensure that security is enforceable and, where necessary, is registered with the appropriate body;
• Assist in developing standard form legal documentation wherever possible and maintain an up-to-date precedent bank.
• In relation to Bank ABC, London and the ABC London Branch, the legal department will advise senior management on the merits and likely cost of litigation contemplated by Bank ABC, London and advise on the procedure (including alternative dispute resolution) to be followed and where appropriate, oversee the conduct of such litigation;
• In relation to Bank ABC’s European branches, the legal department will provide support to the General Managers (or delegates) regarding any litigation (overall responsibility remaining within the purview of the General Managers) and, if the dispute is subject to English law and jurisdiction and where appropriate, oversee the conduct of such litigation;
• Instruct external lawyers, as appropriate;
• Keep senior management informed as to the progress of litigation;
• Ensure that quarterly legal expenses and litigation reports are provided to Head Office in Bank ABC, Bahrain (and within Bank ABC - as required).
• Provide advice in relation regulatory related legal matters including the Capital Requirements Regulation, Data Protection (GDPR/UK GDPR) and outsourcing.
• Decide when it is appropriate to engage external lawyers; select lawyers having the relevant specialisation from the panel of lawyers set by Bank ABC, Bahrain (as approved by Bank ABC, London) and when necessary find appropriate lawyers when the panel is deficient or such lawyers are not available;
• Monitor performance of relevant external lawyers and manage legal costs with a view to maintaining a balance between low costs and effective (and where necessary, expert) legal representation, ensure cost control procedures are implemented in each case;
• Keep abreast of legal developments through (inter alia) the up-dates of external law firms, legal journals, and attendance at external seminars;
• Ensure that changes in the law that affect Bank ABC are identified and communicated appropriately to management and business units, giving advice as to implementation where necessary;
• Support all other members of the Legal Team.