Our client is a global Energy Trading company and due to continued growth we a looking to recruit a Project Analyst to support the Business Analyst and the wider Product Control team in delivering the P&L project to implement systemised P&L reporting. This is a high profile project within the business as they look to build out system based P&L reporting and lay the foundations of an application that will later be developed into a real time P&L reporting tool.
This role will focus solely on the project in the next 12-18 months, however as the different stages of it get delivered the role will evolve to support other projects within Product Control. The role will involve regular collaboration with other teams around the business contributing to delivery.
Key objectives of the project:
- Replacing Excel based reporting with system based reporting
- Build out of a reporting tool to review, adjust and report the daily P&L for all trading books in the London portfolio
- Implementation of a single valuation engine for Open & Accrued P&L for all trading instruments to replace the multiple valuation engines used at the moment
- System based P&L Explain calculations and reporting on a consistent manner across all trading instruments
- Implementation of a system based reporting workflow including formal trader sign-off
- System based T+0 flash P&L reporting by 5pm each business day
- Assisting with the design and testing of the new system based P&L reporting tool. This involves both working on the requirements to be delivered by the IT team as well as detailed UAT testing of the tool to ensure those requirements are being met.
- Regularly reconciling the P&L numbers reported by the new tool vs the existing P&L process. Identifying valuation differences that will need investigating and where required, working with the relevant IT team to remediate and resolve.
- Supporting the migration process of ~400 trading books from the existing Excel based reporting process to the new reporting tool.
- Supporting the development of P&L explain calculations to ensure P&L from all lifecycle events are accounted for.
- Assisting in the development of a reporting workflow including formal trader signoff.
- Ad-hoc analysis as required for the project or wider Product Control function.
- Experience in Product Control (2+ years), preferably within Commodities and likely to also have 2-3 years’ experience in a back office finance role such as treasury or settlements
- Detailed understanding of valuation principles for different types of derivative instruments (Physicals, Swaps, Futures, Options) across their life cycle, and ability to break down the valuation of a trading instrument into underlying cashflows
- Ability to perform P&L explain/attribution of a trading instrument across different life cycle events
- Experience of working on projects within Product control or Finance space is desired but not essential
- Ability to work independently, own and investigate issues to the point of resolution
- Comfortable manipulating and reconciling large datasets in Excel
- Proactive and highly motivated to learn
- Analytically minded with fluent communication skills
- VBA and experience with Alteryx preferred but not essential
Studied towards or passed the ACA is desirable but also not essential