Principal Research Analyst
IHS Markit Oil Markets, Midstream and Downstream group provides data, strategic research and analysis across the oil downstream value chain so our clients can make critical decisions with confidence. Energy players, governments, and financial institutions rely on us to better understand market trends, company and economic behaviour to adjust their business strategy and policies. Our data and research ranges from near/long term outlooks, competitive benchmark, market analysis, technology assessments and regulation.
Within the Refining and Marketing division, we provide insight on the industry and market fundamentals of refining crude oil and marketing refined products-including supply/demand balances, trade, prices, capacities and infrastructure. We forecast product balances and benchmark refining margins, details for national markets around the world as well as guidance on what is an anomaly, and what is a fundamental shift in the market, paying great attention to the energy transition for our long-term outlook.
This downstream research team based in Paris consists of a group of analysts covering Europe, Africa, CIS and the Middle East, and working with global teams across IHS Markit, notably in Asia and North America.
The primary location for this role is Paris but it could be flexible. Your Role
Reporting into the manager of the African and the Middle Eastern downstream research team, you will be a key member of the IHS Markit Refining and Marketing team and you will undertake key responsibilities such as:
- Work with our global teams to support the long-term forecasting of refined products demand and refinery operations. Key themes such as energy transition, penetration of alternative fuels, refinery investments and rationalization are embedded in these forecasts
- Act as a regional oil downstream subject matter expert, growing into a role in supervising work processes and contributing to developing the research agenda
- Maintain energy-related data and information, proactively search for new data and information sources and continuously improve our databases and research
- Support subscription by producing deadline-driven, quick-turnaround analysis and research on the downstream markets and on the companies operating within them
- Contribute to our research offering through thought leadership on oil refining topics
- Interpret technical information, share insights and understanding with internal and external stakeholders
- Opportunities to develop our body of knowledge on different themes related to the energy transition such as environmental policy relating to the downstream oil industry, carbon policies of oil companies, penetration of alternative fuels and vehicle powertrains, etc.
- Contribute to consulting projects as required by business needs: develop independent analysis in support of the project, contribute to market fundamentals and high-level financial modelling, and support delivery of high-quality client-specific projects.
The key qualifications and skills required:
What we offer
- You have at least 5 years of experience in the energy industry and demonstrate knowledge across a broad range of issues and trends within the sector. A fundamental understanding of downstream oil industry is strongly preferred
- You possess an excellent level of English, both written and verbal presentation skills. Proficiency in other languages is a plus, notably Arabic, French, or Portuguese
- You demonstrate strong numerical and quantitative analysis skills and have strong analytical and quality control capabilities, with precision and obsession with detail
- Excellent Excel skills and proficiency with other MS applications required (Word and PowerPoint)
- You are highly organized, able to work to deadlines and prioritize a complex workload
- You are capable of defining, framing and finding solutions to complex problems
- An enthusiastic interest in Africa and/or Middle East is preferred
- Successful candidates will be able to build and maintain strong relationships both within client organizations and inside the matrixed IHS Markit organization
- Base salary plus cash incentive plan
- Annual leave
- Health insurance
- Other location-specific benefits
- Opportunity to develop skills and knowledge in a truly global working environment, and contribute to projects on a broad range of topics
- Growth opportunities, both vertically into leadership roles, and horizontally, as IHS Markit brings together the deepest intelligence across the widest set of capital-intensive industries and markets
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.