About Athena Applied Intelligence
Athena is a cross-asset platform transforming technology at JP Morgan. It delivers innovative and efficient applications to a wide range of the firm's business, including sales, trading, operations, risk and research. Athena combines the best of open source technologies with innovative components developed internally, and serves a wide spectrum of users and stakeholders including the front office, quantitative researchers and technology teams.
In Athena Applied Intelligence team, we combine the power of Data Science (DS), AI, ML, optimization algorithms and automation to augment human intelligence and solve business problems at scale. We are on a mission to make better and smart use of data, identify and solve high-impact decision and optimization problems to unlock business value at scale.
You will be part of a highly creative, innovative and passionate team of engineers looking to generate actionable insights and advance the state-of-the-art in automated and scalable intelligent decision making. We embrace a culture of experimentation, collaboration, creativity and innovation, and constantly strive for improvement and continuous learning.
As a Senior Data Scientist/AI and Optimization Lead, you are expected to have proficient knowledge and strong experience in the interconnected disciplines of Applied Data Science, AI/ML and Operations Research. You are a strong engineer with deep expertise in cutting-edge technologies, robust design, development, coding and testing of high standard and scalable software.
You will lead efforts to translate complex datasets and mission-critical business challenges into technical problems and solve them at scale using the appropriate methodologies and tools. Your deep expertise in data analytics, AI/ML and optimization algorithms, as well as strong practical experience with modern engineering technologies will enable you and the team to intelligently transform data into value, innovate, create high-standard robust production capabilities and deliver increased business benefits.
You will engage with exciting new and ongoing projects in collaboration with internal teams. Some of the projects include high performance compute optimization, intelligent resource allocation, compute energy saving and automated inefficiency/anomaly detection, all of which offer opportunities for creative problem solving, analytical techniques and automation. The project domain continues to grow as per business needs. You will have exposure to the business challenges and the firm’s unique and rich datasets, and are expected to play an active part in shaping our agenda.
You will lead the research and development lifecycle beginning with understanding the business context, identifying opportunities, technical problem articulation, data discovery and analysis, insights generation, designing algorithms, delivering successful prototypes and working with the team to ship robust production engineering solutions.
Required Qualifications and Experience
● PhD or MSc in a quantitative discipline, e.g. Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Data Science, AI/ML
● Practical experience with solving large scale analytical, data-driven decision and optimization problems, developing and deploying DS/AI/OR capabilities at scale in commercial contexts
● Expertise in one or more specialized areas such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, combinatorial optimization and graph algorithms
● Must be curious, detail-oriented, results- and client-focused, highly motivated by complex analytical problems, and proficient in uncovering meaning and relevant opportunities from complex datasets
● Must be able to independently research and propose solutions, work individually and collaboratively to achieve business goals
● Strong development skills in Python or similar programming language
● Strong SDLC mindset and familiarity with agile paradigms
● Ability to convey results clearly and communicate effectively to stakeholders of various backgrounds
● Excellent creative problem solver, a data enthusiast and passionate about realizing the full power of applied data analytics and intelligence in real complex and commercial settings
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
● Deep knowledge of AWS technologies (including SageMaker)
● Practical experience with analytical and data science/ML platforms, libraries and toolkits
● Experience with big data technologies, modern data engineering practices, frameworks and data visualization tools
● Practical knowledge of high performance computing technologies
● Prior experience or interest in applying DS/AI/OR in contexts such as infrastructure/workload/cost optimization, job scheduling, resource allocation and/or capacity planning