Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Strategy & Operations team
Strategy & Operations is a new team in the COO office of Wintermute tasked with scaling the company to its next very ambitious milestones.
Your role will be varied and cross-functional covering various aspects of strategic and corporate finance, corporate structuring, regulatory, solving complex tax and accounting questions, automating financial processes. You will be co-designing, owning and implementing strategic initiatives as well as building the core finance functions for scale. Expect to be very practical and hand-on!
It is an incredibly unique opportunity to be part of the startup that has already become a market leader in its category, achieved commercial success and is yet small enough (in terms of headcount), so you can make a big difference!
Note: this role is not about “giving advice to management” and “high-level strategy design”. Just like everyone else in the company, you will focus on doing whatever needs to be done to build the company. We do not distinguish between strategy and operations, all projects will be strategic AND operational.
A sample range of functional subject areas:
- Corporate Structuring : designing efficient corporate structures across multiple entities, businesses and jurisdictions
- Finance Operations: cost of capital and loan capital optimization, trading operations, supporting our venture investment operations and analysis
- New businesses/product: help setting up new financial products launched across various jurisdictions, help subsidiaries scale financial operations
- Finance operations: set up and scale various financial processes such as automating of reporting & controls, introduction of relevant software tools, accounting and HR systems
- Legal and regulatory: supporting relevant license applications, contract design and automation, compliance processes design, developing own expertise and challenging external advisors
- Reporting & analytics: Financial modelling and reporting, investor updates, investor audits
- Ad hoc: high-level strategic and operational projects
Hard Skills Requirements
- At least 5-7 years experience in a high-performance environment, such as investment banking, PE, VC-backed startup, internal corporate finance, etc.
- Top tier MBA may be a plus but isn’t necessary
- Corporate structuring experience and experience working in regulated environments are strongly preferred
- Financial modelling expertise
- Expertise in at least one of accounting , tax or financial regulations required
- Strong problem solving skills, both quantitative and qualitative
- Strong communication skills - be able to communicate clearly, concisely and listen well
- Ability and interest to learn about new technologies and new functional areas fast and independently
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical
- Love problem solving, and love seeing the tangible results of you work
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- A unique opportunity to join a high growth startup and one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch (Singapore office is in the works)
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable
- Prepare to be tested on our hard skills requirements
- Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
- Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!