We are seeking an ESG focused analyst to join the Matthews Asia investment team to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers and investment analysts. Your work plays a critical part in the overall ESG integration across strategies.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Perform ESG research and investment analysis in support of Portfolio Managers.
- Assist in the material ESG integration within the investment process through engagement with investment teams, becoming a key partner who is able to advise and guide the team in relation to ESG
- Seek opportunities to collaborate closely with company analysts to identify key Environmental, Social and Governance risks/opportunities and raise awareness of ESG issues in portfolio management teams
- Under the guidance of the Head of ESG, conduct ESG thematic research and create briefing papers to share across investment groups to foster a culture of collaboration, sharing ESG insights and best practice
- Monitor macro-economic news/risks, contribute to investment process through idea generation and due diligence, communicate with existing/potential investors, and perform site visits, as needed.
- Analyze sector, regional and economic factors re: portfolio companies
- Responsible for assisting in development of and conducting quarterly portfolio screens on key ESG risk flags
- Conduct fundamental company research and analysis. Identify and exploit gaps in publicly available material non-financial information. Maintain research on ongoing basis. Communicate findings to investment team for integration in investment processes.
- Track, evaluate, and capture external research and engagement efforts, ESG issue areas, emerging investment landscape trends, and other relevant topics for the benefit of investment decision-making, advocacy, and research initiatives.
- Conduct engagement with companies and identify public policy issues for market-wide engagements. Document and track engagement efforts and support ESG engagement reporting. Assist in the development of ESG-related marketing and client services materials, including engagement case studies and stewardship reporting.
- Identify and contribute to the development and implementation of advocacy campaigns, including representation at stakeholder meetings and external working groups. Enhance Matthews external profile through participation in RI events
- Manage and analyze datasets from third-party ESG data providers and produce insightful research findings. Understand data providers’ methodology, data coverage, and strengths and weaknesses. Assist in development of in-house proprietary ESG model.
Skills to be successful in this role:
- Must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated passion for ESG/sustainable investing.
- Applied experience working within asset management to integrate ESG into research and investment processes. Quantitative skills, including some experience with financial analysis applied to companies, with a willingness to develop such skills further.
- Ideally experience in ESG integration into Equity and Fixed Income. Background in corporate governance and proxy voting would be desirable.
- Knowledge of ESG tools and methodologies such as MSCI ESG, Sustainalytics, ISS, SASB, Tableau, Bloomberg, FactSet, Reprisk and data science applications highly desirable.
- Background in sustainability/ESG studies desirable.
- High level of integrity and ability to work well in a very diverse team setting.
- Strong research, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work efficiently in a high-pressure, deadline-focused work environment and to adapt in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Excellent written communication, presenting, partnership and influencing skills.
- Strong communication and follow-up skills. Ability to build strong trusting working relationships with internal colleagues and with external stakeholders.
- Excellent project management and time management skills. Flexibility and ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously and prioritize work.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- 4+ years of ESG/CG research experience. Asian/Emerging Markets experience strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Mandarin, Japanese, or Spanish is a big plus.
- U.S citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S on a permanent basis preferred.
- ESG related certification such as SASB Fundamentals of Sustainability Accounting (FSA) or CFA Institute Certificate in ESG Investing highly desirable.
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances