Senior Software Engineer - Bloomberg Second Measure Platform
Bloomberg Second Measure is a leading provider of data analytics that delivers valuable insights into company performance and consumer behavior. Using data from billions of anonymized transactions, we have built a self-service analytics product for daily tracking and real-time exploration of 5,200+ public and private companies. Clients use our product to discover new markets, gain an advantage in financial investments, and inform their competitive strategies.
To experiment, develop, and produce the accurate, high-quality data we deliver to our clients, our team relies on distributed data storage and processing systems. We're looking for Software Engineers to architect and develop these systems to (1) reliably store and manage data; (2) to capture metadata about our data and the processing of it; and (3) and to evolve how our engineers and data scientists query our data. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Design, build, and manage mission critical systems for accessing and managing data within our platform, including data discovery, monitoring, metadata (lineage, history, schema), and query layers
- Build and maintain libraries and integrations for data processing systems to leverage discovery, monitoring, metadata, and access functionality
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers, and product managers to understand the emergent workloads and needs to support the product
- Analyze, understand, and solve performance and scalability problems
We'd love to see:
- Experience designing, building, and supporting production systems in Java and Python
- Familiarity with different database technologies, such as distributed query engines (Presto/Trino), analytics data stores (Clickhouse, Apache Druid), scalable key-value stores (Cassandra, Redis) with understanding of the internal design and implementation
- Familiarity with data processing ecosystem, such as Apache Spark, Apache Flink, and Dask
- Familiarity with data governance and metadata ecosystem, such as Apache Atlas, DataHub, Marquez, Metacat, Hive Metastore
- Experience building APIs, especially Thrift and gRPC.
- Experience with working with structured (Parquet, Avro, Orc, Protocol Buffers) and unstructured data (CSV, JSON)
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Experience in building and operating extensible, scalable, and resilient systems
- A self starter with the ability to work effectively on a team with excellent spoken and written communication
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
If this sounds like you:
- Experience working with Kubernetes to deploy and serve mission critical systems and services
- Experience evolving, operating, and supporting either distributed query engines (e.g., Presto/Trino), analytics data systems (e.g., ClickHouse or Apache Druid) or scalable key-value stores (Cassandra, FoundationDB, Redis, DynamoDB)
- Familiarity with using and running production systems within AWS
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.