Linux Application Support Engineer
Linux Application Support Engineer Role Overview:
To provide high quality operational and technical application support, and Middleware/OS support to Platts customers and internal business teams. Minimizing the adverse impact of Incidents and Problems on the business and preventing reoccurrence of incidents, together with working on small-scale BAU projects and initiatives. Role Location:
Denver, Colorado Responsibilities:
- As a Senior Support Engineer, you will provide high-quality 2nd Line (L2) technical support for several S&P Platts applications, together with administration, tuning and troubleshooting issues related to Platts API and data feed based applications.
- You will be involved in owning support issues end-to-end, including managing the resolution of major incidents and application outages for the applications within your remit.
- Solve highly complex, ad-hoc application critical problems and determine the best solution within SLAs or around cost/benefit analysis
- Follow industry standard ITIL processes and operational policies across incident, change, and problem management, with a view to perform continuous service improvement.
- Work closely with key stakeholders within both the development and business community to represent S&P Platts IT and implement BAU projects and enhancements.
- Improve efficiency and quality of support by automating complex routine tasks.
- Evaluate and Champion best of breed product support tools including run books, monitoring, and knowledge bases to aid in the application support process.
- Interact with internal teams and external 3rd party vendors to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems.
- Implement and maintain application monitoring
- Act as a technical expert for internal dev teams with regards to cloud infrastructure and security standards
- Maintain good working relationships with team members, internal departments as well as 3rd party vendors
Knowledge and Key Skills:
- A qualification in Computer Science, Information Systems or Engineering
- 5+ years of hands-on application support, performance tuning and system administration experience
- Experience with Apache/Tomcat is mandatory. Weblogic experience is a plus.
- Experience in an Agile or Dev Ops environment is a plus.
- Experience in Financial Markets IT support, and/or Market Data feed/API Support is a plus
- AWS SysOps/Architect, DevOps, RHCE, MCSA, MCSE, certification a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Strong customer service and support focus with a desire to deliver a high quality service
- Self-motivated and highly professional with ability to take responsibility and ownership of issues through to resolution
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- A desire to learn and improve skills and knowledge
- Adaptable and flexible to business demands
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Positive 'can-do' attitude
Critical Success Factors
- In-depth knowledge of Linux (RedHat) and Windows.
- Experience with one or more RDBMS/SQL Syntax is a plus.
- Ability to diagnose critical issues relating to Apache/Tomcat installations.
- Ability to troubleshoot End to End application functionality, IO, performance related problems involving Apache/Tomcat + J2EE/ JVM, and/or IIS. .NET, network and storage.
- Experience in load-balancing and high-availability planning and configurational and administration. An understanding of networking technologies (Routers, load balancers, firewalls, switches, etc). Knowledge on Internet/File/Data protocols such as HTTP, HTTPS, TCP, CIFS, etc.
- Hands on supporting multi-tiered web application architecture.
- Working experience with RDP, Putty tools
- Working Knowledge of monitoring tools such as Nagios XI, Naemon, or APM tools such as AppDynamics, etc.
- Experience in monitoring & health-check of web and application server environments
- Troubleshooting skills in web and application server / n-tier environment
- Experience of working with AWS services. Experience of microservices and Kubernetes a plus.
- Experience with Automation Engineering tools (Ansible/Puppet/Jenkins)
- ITIL v3 Certification a plus
- Achieving high levels of user satisfaction
- Demonstration of ownership of problems
- Measured contribution towards the reduction of aged problems
- Measured contribution towards maintaining a level of expectations with customers internally/externally for services provided
Compensation/Benefits Information (US Applicants Only):
- System availability meets agreed SLA
- Incidents and problems are resolved within OLA and SLA
- Delivering projects within agreed timeframes
- Comply with departmental procedures and policies
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $55,900 - $155,900 . Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive bonus/a sales commission plan.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires .
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), IFTECH202.1 - Middle Professional Tier I (EEO Job Group) Job ID:
263668 Posted On:
Centennial, Colorado, United States