Lead Software Engineer
The Trade Execution Performance Team is primarily tasked with bringing continuous performance improvements to core ultra-low latency order entry, matching and market data applications within CME Globex . The team plays a highly vital role in carving out a performance roadmap for Globex core apps to adopt technology innovations/optimizations to further reduce latency. The team is forward looking and responsible for identifying critical server/cpu/networking technology improvements in the industry and applying them through a rigorous process of research and development (R&D), perflab testing and automated performance measurements (Automation).
The Lead Software Engineer role is responsible for working with a team of technology engineers and leading efforts and projects to drive and execute the strategy for technology advances in CMEâ€™s electronic trading and market data platform.
This individual is responsible for leading projects for systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance, the capacity to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days in the world economy, rock-solid application reliability and integrity, and handle real-time synchronization of a geographically distributed system, all while undergoing rapid release cycles.
- Defines key metrics driving code optimization and leads discussion of code reviews; manages environment build deployments, release notes and build notices; reviews code to proactively identify and mitigate potential issues and defects as well as identifies solution problems and issues outside code
- Develops designs for all aspects of a project; mentors senior software engineers
- Contributes to architectural discussions; interprets and enforces architecture for a development team
- Influences best practices development contributing to process enhancements and enforces best practices on project work
- Conducts system-wide testing and some integration testing (Junit and cucumber)
- Helps with debugging/designing the automated test framework
- Reviews code to proactively identify and mitigate potential issues and defects and helps to identify sources of defects
- Uses design tools to frequently share and communicate design ideas on larger systems
- Uses patterns frequently, contributing to best practice and process enhancements
- Experience working with high-availability, low-latency systems
- Experience using networking concepts such as multicast, protocols, and binary encoding
- Expertise working with Java, Oracle and Linux
- Ability to communicate clearly in written and verbal form to both developers and business stakeholders
- A passion for solving the most challenging technical problems
- Ability to develop the skills of others on the team
- Solid experience with networking concepts
- A Bachelors or Masterâ€™s degree in computer science or related field
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. With 2,500 employees located around the world, we're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.