Global Financial Crimes: Global KYC Advisory, KYC Officer
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Global Financial Crimes (GFC) coordinates day-to-day implementation of the Firm's enterprise-wide financial crime prevention efforts. GFC includes several legal and compliance disciplines and has responsibility for governance, oversight and execution of the Firm's Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Sanctions, Anti-Corruption, Anti-Tax Evasion, and Government and Political Activities Compliance programs. GFC also develops and/or assists in the development of appropriate policies and procedures, including those designed to assist the business units to know their clients and conduct appropriate due diligence and to prevent, detect and report potentially suspicious activity. GFC has dedicated coverage managers and teams of analysts who advise and counsel each business unit regarding its AML, economic sanctions, anti-corruption, anti-tax evasion, and political activity obligations and its particular clients and transactions.
Morgan Stanley is committed to a strong GFC program to protect against the use of the Firm's products, services, and facilities for prohibited transactions or the purpose of evading, avoiding or otherwise circumventing sanctions, AML, anti-corruption, anti-tax evasion, and political activity laws and regulations. The Firm has adopted a comprehensive, risk-based program to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and government guidance. The Global Know Your Customer (KYC) Advisory team is focused on the KYC obligations globally.
The KYC Officer can be based in New York, NY or Baltimore, MD and reports directly to the Global Head of KYC Advisory. The KYC Advisory team is tasked with setting KYC policy in coordination with GFC Financial Crimes Advisory colleagues regionally, and implementing KYC control changes and enhancements working directly with Operations, the Business Unit stakeholders and Firm Technology units. The KYC Officer coordinates and supports critical aspects of Morgan Stanley's Know Your Customer (KYC) Program across the enterprise while promoting consistency across business lines and regions in the day-to-day implementation of certain aspects of the KYC Program.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Plan, coordinate, and track the implementation of the Firm's Global KYC Standards, including periodic refresh, and related regional standards across the Enterprise
- Assist in advising key stakeholders of KYC regulatory and policy requirements and suggest enhancement of KYC controls in response to regulatory and policy change
- Assist regional GFC Financial Crimes Advisory teams in the periodic refresh process, including coordinating with Operations, Business Unit stakeholders and Technology to implement enhancements and control changes
- Assist in managing the governance and oversight of the Firm's KYC efforts, including the Firm's KYC Standards Committee and working groups with GFC, business unit, Operations, and Technology representation
- Coordinate with GFC Policies & Training to make enhancements/updates to the Global KYC Standards and related regional standards across the Enterprise
- Coordinate with GFC Strategy on the implementation and continued maintenance of Enterprise Customer Risk Ranking controls
- Responsible for the implementation, maintenance and enhancement of KYC Controls enterprise-wide
- Represent the Firm with respect to KYC controls in internal, external, and regulatory audits and examinations
- 4 year college degree with strong academic credentials
- 7 to 10 years of Anti-Money Laundering or KYC Advisory experience at a large financial institution
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact in a mature and professional manner with a variety of individuals
- Ability to exhibit excellent judgment, initiative and adherence to deadlines
- Certification as an Anti-Money Laundering Specialist by ACAMS or equivalent AML certification/license - or certification within first 15 months of employment
- Experience in defining and executing KYC change controls and periodic refresh strategy
- Operational knowledge of KYC rules implementation and maintenance