Sr. Spec, Back-End Dev
BNY Mellon is a Global Financial Services company focused on servicing and managing clients' financial assets. Operating across 36 countries and serving more than 100 markets, a leading provider to a number of institutions, corporations and high-net-worth individuals. Custody services is considered as the biggest global institution with over 35 trillion dollars under management. BNYM has Technology with a global presence across the US (HQ), EMEA (Ireland, Poland) and APAC (India).
OST (Operations & Shared Technology) is the only department at BYN Mellon which creates solutions that span multiple business lines. With 1600+ people in both hands-on development roles as well as various supporting functions, it is responsible for the banks client and internal portals (Nexen), main data repositories, mainframe legacy, new fully distributed cloud systems as well as being involved in critical projects.
Due to the ever-changing Financial landscape, there is a need to rapidly pivot and deliver projects/solutions to clients which is why OST has decided to create a new project type primarily responsible focused on delivery leveraging best of breed approaches, tools and techniques.
Integrated Delivery Team Model or how we work?
• Team is involved in the delivery of new solutions/systems (green field development) identified by business users focusing on solutions that carry specific benefits (reduction of vendor license fees, headcount reductions etc..). Initial problem domain is solving deficiencies in processing of corporate actions.
• Operating as a "feature team", all responsibilities fall within the team to deliver front-to-back solutions with external assistance provided when delivery obstacles are encountered.
• We promote and utilize an Agile SCRUM framework to allow for incremental development of new components, systems.
• The team is focused on delivering, embracing feedback from our customers at all stages of the process and looking to review working practices on a regular basis to utilize best in class standards and software toolsets.
• Collaboration with other teams and continuous learning critical part of the team's culture.
• We deliver solutions following the Microservices architecture principles
• We strive for excellence in order to deliver best quality products (DoD, code reviews, test-driven development, Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment)
Who are we looking for?
• A passionate Java developer with strong people and problem-solving skills, flexible, yet independent team player who is comfortable leaving their comfort zone to build new proof-of-concepts and think creatively
• An inquisitive and analytical mindset, with the ability to articulate complex technical problems in a concise and clear manner
• An enthusiast for cloud-based solutions and architectures
What will you do?
• Create and enhance Microservices and Widgets running on internal cloud (docker based) that solve specific business problems.
Consults with internal business groups to provide appropriate application software development services or technical support. Provides application software development services or technical support in more complex situations. May also be responsible for requirements gathering and BRD/SRD preparation. Has thorough knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle. Conducts reviews of the test Plan and test Data. May allocate/ coordinate work within a team/project. The job holder leads the technical design, development and documentation of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems. S/he analyzes, defines and documents requirements for data, workflow, and logical processes and interfaces with other systems. S/he also ensures that expected application performance levels are achieved by coordinating, coding, testing, implementation and documentation. Design and development of backend features and components. Scaling the backend architecture and codebase to support growth. Reducing the level of technical debt of the backend codebase. Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code. Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites. Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to satisfy requirements and solutions. Maintain software functionality and currency (technical debt and gain). Actively participate in code reviews. Integrate software components into a fully functional software system. Apply security and privacy principles. Execute full lifecycle software development. Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures. Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems. Ensure software is updated with latest features. Participate in deployment process following all change controls. Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms. Provide recommendations for continuous improvement. Active learning engagement. Complete all required mandatory training / policy awareness curricula on time. Use learning tools such as Pluralsight to complete both recommended and aspirational targets set in personal development plans. Demonstrate team work. Leverage existing products/functionality and promote reuse. Work alongside other engineers on the team to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices. Collaborate closely with all the other members of the team to take shared responsibility for the overall efforts that the team has committed to. Collaborate cross-functionally with data engineers, business users, project managers and other engineers to achieve elegant solutions. Utilize local meetups to gain and share knowledge. Compiles documentation written by more senior developers of all procedures used in system. Acts as mentor to junior level engineers. Prior experience with using a specific application development toolkit and knowledge of a backend development language required (i.e. C#, Java) S/he must have knowledge about the functions and features of modern and traditional structured methods for developing applications. Communications and organization skills; team work skills. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives. Qualifications
Tech stack and Tools:
• Backend: Java (8+), Spring, Spring Integration, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, Oracle
• Deployment: private cloud infrastructure (VMs or containers), Docker, Jenkins, Sonar
• Code Repository: GitLab
• Development and knowledge base: IntelliJ, JIRA, Confluence, Scrum
• Highly desirable if you have at least 8 years of exposure to working with Java and Spring (Spring Boot)
• Open mind and willingness to continuously improve and learn other frameworks, languages.
• Team player attitude willing to help team members with ad-hoc work as and when required.
• No prior business knowledge is required. Direct communication with stakeholders, business clients is encouraged and used as learning tool.
Bachelor's degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required. 7-9 years of experience in software development required; experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus. Job holder must have understanding interdependencies and business impact of future IT plans. S/he must have prior lead experience selecting and implementing vendor-specific methodologies and prior consulting experience with structured methodologies. Extensive experience with developing and supporting backend environment required. Job holder must have broad experience with multi-platform development tools and toolkits BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United States-New Jersey-Jersey City Internal Jobcode:
Information Technology Organization:
Shared Services And Technology-HR13644 Requisition Number: