Director, Aladdin Build & Infrastructure Engineering Lead
Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup but want to tackle some of the world's most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for a Director of Build Engineering who likes to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
We invest and protect over $9 trillion (USD) of assets and have an extraordinary responsibility to our clients all over the world. Our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
Being a Director at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
This role will be responsible for all aspects of software development, testing and ensuring compatibility with enterprise and solutions architecture by harnessing modern development technologies.
You will have the chance to define and develop new capabilities and engage with multiple development teams and partners across the Aladdin Product Group.
- Curious and eager to learn new things, with a healthy disrespect for the status quo
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and open to guidance from others; you make mistakes, but learn from them
- Passionate about technology, with personal ownership for the work you do
- Data-focused, with an eye for the details that matter to tackle the problem
- Passionate about building reliable software and scaling technology to meet the needs of tomorrow
- Building solutions for both BlackRock and over 100 organizations who use our technology
- Developing with Java, Python, Cassandra, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes and other technologies
- Committed to open source and contributing back to the community
- Writing testable software every day with a focus on incremental innovation
About the Role
BlackRock's Site Reliability Engineering team is looking for an ambitious Director of Build Engineering to work on exciting strategic investments to Aladdin's development platform. Working with a global team, you will be part of an outstanding group of engineers setting and evolving the technology direction for our build and release systems, and more broadly Aladdin's cloud strategy. You will be passionate about all aspects of enterprise software development - quality, performance, security, usability and reliability. As a key member of our engineering team, you will be encouraged to bring your ideas forward to help shape the technical solutions. You will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable presenting your ideas to inquisitive senior leaders.
This position will be focused on engineering Aladdin's enterprise build system and its underlying infrastructure, scaling and optimizing it to accommodate Aladdin's continuously expanding technology ecosystem. The role will also afford the chance to learn about the financial industry, specifically the complex world of risk management, valuations and operations.
- Leading a team of DevOps engineers that develop Aladdin's enterprise build system and the infrastructure that powers it.
- Devise and execute on a strategy to move Aladdin's build and release infrastructure to the cloud.
- Accelerating the productivity of 5,000+ technologists across the company, and building solutions for them that further improve BlackRock's developer experience and bring a smile to the face of our engineers!
- Work alongside project managers, technical architects and product leads to build software that drives engineering practices, developer systems and SDLC transformation.
- Collaborate with team members in a multi-office, multi-country environment.
- Ensure software stability via documenting, code reviews, and automated testing so production operations run successfully.
- 3+ years managing small to mid-sized teams
- 5+ years experience in DevOps, build systems, or infrastructure engineering
- Experience building infrastructures, frameworks, and tools to improve developer experience and speed up development, testing and release.
- Experience developing CI/CD pipelines in Azure DevOps, Gitlab, Jenkins or equivalent solutions.
- Experience with several build and package management systems (Maven, PyPy, NPM & Yarn, CMake, Conan, Nuget, Bazel).
- Experience managing and operating industry-standard developer services (Jira, Confluence, Artifactory, etc)
- Experience managing Linux systems.
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc.) and cloud orchestration solutions.
- Effective communication skills, including an ability to work across teams.
- Experience driving development initiatives and collaborating within complex organizations.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.