Principal Research Analyst
- New York City, NY, USA
- Festanstellung, Vollzeit
- IHS Markit
- 08 Dez 18
Principal Research Analyst
Principal industrial software and IIoT analyst
- The senior analyst will be responsible for establishing and developing the Manufacturing Technology portfolio of automation software research and supporting our ongoing IIoT work. This will involve working closely with companies active in the automation software space to develop new products and a portfolio of software research that compliments our leading automation hardware research portfolio. The analyst will also work closely with our existing IoT and smart manufacturing teams/analysts, in developing our scope of work and understanding of technology adoption by industry and region. The ability to leverage end-user insights as to drivers and inhibitors of investment will also be an important consideration.
- The role will involve collecting and analyzing market research information from a variety of sources and producing evidence based market research reports to enable informed customer/client decision making. The analyst also markets their research and supports our clients and internal stakeholders as a subject matter expert.
- Specific duties:
Develop individual software project scopes and plan the wider portfolio of software research
- Support our ongoing research on IIoT/smart manufacturing, helping to develop thought leadership and new areas of insight
Call or visit customers to discuss their requirements
Consider common themes/requirements & decide what to include/exclude in research scope
Produce proposal documents
Work with direct line manager and product manager to develop new industrial software products and services
- Collaborate within Manufacturing Technology team and more broadly within IHS Markit Technology to develop software portfolio and IIoT expertise
- Educate colleagues internally as to dynamics related to software implementation and IIoT adoption
- Pre sales/marketing
Identify leading suppliers in the market and contacts within these companies
Send proposal document to potential clients
Drive marketing activity for each research project, including e-marketing and web campaigns
- Foster presentation (and webinar) opportunities at leading industry events
- Support account managers in developing leads for syndicated industrial software research and custom opportunities
- Develop relationships with senior contacts at leading software suppliers
- Support existing team in developing relationships with senior contacts at those companies spearheading IIoT initiatives within industry
- Plan the project and portfolio
Devise and evaluate methods and procedures for collecting data
Produce detailed project plan and sales targets for each project
Scope new software research and plan development of a longer-term software portfolio
- Collaborate with the team and other relevant colleagues to generate value quickly with complimentary products
- Evaluate opportunity to produce hardware + software research solutions for our customers; how can existing expertise be combined with new software research to provide value to our clients?
- Conduct research
Conduct face-to-face and telephone interviews and write up
Develop and issue supplier questionnaires
Collate secondary research
Monitor industry statistics & trends in trade literature
- Analyse data and prepare report
Assemble, structure & analyse all data collected
Produce base year data and forecasts in excel
Make estimates where data is missing or incomplete
Highlight key findings and trends in written text
Illustrate key data graphically
- Produce thought leadership content, and opinion based commentary
- Anticipate market developments and adapt research accordingly
- Market & sell report
Prepare sales brochure and send to targeted list of prospects for specific projects
Telephone or visit potential customers. Contact key prospects and support close of sales
Prepare press releases. Interface with editors to ensure press coverage
Speak at conferences/visit customers/attend trade shows to promote report and coverage
- Support the custom and consulting team in developing opportunities related to industrial software and IIoT
Our ideal candidate will ideally have a good degree in an electronics/engineering related subject, however applications will be considered from graduates with a good business/science degree.
Minimum of 5 years' experience working within a professional market research or commercial organisation is preferred.
Minimum of 5 years' experience of industrial software research, development, sales, or usage and/or implementation.
Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present complex concepts and analysis to clients and internal stakeholders
Proficiency with MS applications required (Excel, Word and PowerPoint); experience with databases helpful.
Requires a keen attention to detail and highly effective organization skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
Requires effective verbal and written communication skills in a deadline-oriented environment.
Must be flexible with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all coworkers.
Must be able to meet the attendance requirements of the position.
This position will require some international travel. Some travel may also occur outside of normal working hours.
The position will be based in the US.
It is the policy of IHS Markit to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, IHS Markit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We maintain a drug-free workplace. For candidates in the US, we are a participant in E-Verify (see link below).
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Right to Work
Pay Transparency Policy
Current Colleagues If you are currently a colleague with IHS Markit please apply internally via Workday.