Senior Full Stack Engineer - Macro Markets and Alternative Data
Who We Are:
How can the price of oil be less than $0?
Why are unemployment numbers so important during a pandemic?
Whatâ€™s the best way to see the â€trueâ€ market value of Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies?
Why is monitoring the movement of ships through the Suez Canal critically important to financial markets?
If these kinds of questions pique your interest, the Macro Markets & Alternative Data (MMAD) group in Bloomberg Engineering might be the place for you!Â Our teams are responsible for the ingestion, curation, enrichment, persistence, distribution, analysis and visualization of a wide variety of financial data. Commodities, Foreign Exchange, Economics, and Futures & Options are all within our realm.Â In addition, our BloombergNEF team provides research and data to support the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectorsâ€™ transition to a low carbon economy.Â On top of all of that, we're also building out a new platform for Alternative Data (thatâ€™s data that hasnâ€™t traditionally been used by financial market professionals).Â The Role
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer in MMAD, you will be responsible for the user experience, application servers and core backend within one of our application teams, building highly scalable products that exceed the expectations of our highly discerning users. In doing this, youâ€™ll collaborate with a variety of partner teams including product managers to understandÂ and improve user experience, real-time infrastructure teams to help reduce latency in our application servers, and data platform teams to maximize the efficiency of our datastores. You will be empowered to fully own entire applications and be responsible for the development of new features as well as the ongoing care of existing functionality. The Tech Stack(s)
Like many Bloomberg groups, we rely heavily on a number of technologies that have been developed in-house. However, we also use lots of commercial and open-source software where applicable (with our preference being for open-source, if available).Â Examples of some of the open source technologies we use include:
Whatâ€™s in it for you?
- Python and C++ for most of our code
- Postgres, Cassandra, Solr, and Hadoop for our data stores
- Kafka and RabbitMQ for low-latency, high-bandwidth messaging
- Redis and memcached for large-scale distributed caching
What we look for?
- Youâ€™ll learn how some of the financial worldâ€™s most sophisticated users do their job and what role Bloomberg plays in it
- Youâ€™ll develop expertise in industry standard SDLC tools and processes and act as a champion for good software practices within your team
- Youâ€™ll establish relationships across Bloomberg by working closely with and learning from the specialists in our product development, global data and client support departments
- As an added bonus, youâ€™ll gain deep market knowledge in one (or more!) financial domains
What weâ€™d love to see
- 4+ years of experience coding in an object-oriented programming language coupled with knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms and all phases of software development.
- Self-motivation and an aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment using agile methodologies
- Experience in delivering high performance production quality systems to clients
- Willingness to work with C++ and/or Python as your primary development language.Â Opportunities will be provided to develop these skills
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Financial domain knowledge and experience
- Experience with Kafka, Redis or Solr
- Experience working in a UNIX or Linux development environment
- Familiarity with developer productivity tools such as Jenkins, Splunk, etc.
- Project Leadership experience
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.