Senior Software Engineer - Compliance Search and Indexing
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications and trading platforms.
That's where Bloomberg Compliance comes in. Bloomberg Compliance provides a single platform for storage, reconstruction and extraction of our customer's communication, collaboration, and financial transaction data. More than 1,000 organizations use our product to manage and archive their enterprise communications as they face an ever-evolving regulatory landscape.
Bloomberg's Compliance Search Engine lies at the heart of our infrastructure and powers complex analytical workflows across a suite of financial applications. The search team is responsible for the complete and accurate capture of customer data, ranging from trade lifecycles to email, voice, and social media data as well as Bloomberg proprietary message and chat platforms.
As part of this mission, the search team maintains and operates a sophisticated multi-tenant private SOLR cloud, hosting 2 Petabytes of data, capturing an average of 50 million communications and 700GB of indexed data a day, while serving thousands of eDiscovery requests a week.
We are currently hiring search experts as we continue to invest in scaling our platform, modernizing our infrastructure and bringing novel search workflows to market. Our present initiatives center around federation, enrichments, and utilizing quantitative methodologies within our existing workflows. As part of our team, you will be trusted to:
You'll need to have:
- Develop and maintain new architecture to support search and indexing workflows
- Optimize existing pipelines to improve throughout, stability and parallelism
- Drive and balance the incorporation of new technologies while improving development practices
- Mentor others by encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing
We'd love to see:
- 5+ years of experience in Distributed Systems related Software Development
- Experience with Search and Search Technology (SOLR, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Experience with building robust, scalable and maintainable high performance indexing pipelines
- Strong knowledge and experience with Java or C++, some experience in Python
- Experience with open source frameworks (Kafka, Spark, Cassandra, etc.)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Willingness and excitement to learn new things and work across a diverse set of languages and tools
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Experience building APIs and working with Service Oriented Architectures
- Experience with HTTP and computer networking protocols
- Experience or interest in machine learning and quantitative methods for search
- Track record of improving developer experience pushing Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
- Experience with indexing techniques to optimize for higher search engine performance
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.