Senior Software Engineer - NoSQL Infrastructure Team
Bloomberg's NoSQL Infrastructure team offers Apache Cassandra as a hosted service. The team has visibility across the organization as we're providing a pathway for scalable data storage. We support critical and highly-visible applications such as ultra low-latency market data caches and geo-replicated trade event stores. The team is looking for senior developers with interest and expertise in distributed databases and data management.
The team's focus is to foster Cassandra adoption by improving its usability within Bloomberg. The team has developed automation workflows for cluster provisioning, keyspace and schema management. We've implemented client libraries for service discovery that we are looking to enhance with custom load balancing and retry policies. We've implemented performance evaluation frameworks to encourage a quantitative and metrics-driven approach to data modelling and query design. We also provide solutions engineering for application teams, helping them with data modeling and architecture. Currently, we are focused on Kubernetes orchestration of Cassandra, reimagining of a number of our admin workflows with cloud architecture in mind, and developing a proxy service to provide a simpler, database agnostic access layer.
If you are a software engineer who is passionate about distributed systems, has seen how they behave in production and has expertise in developing backend software infrastructure, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Help application teams looking to use Cassandra with workload characterization, performance tuning and failure analysis
- Develop tooling ranging from cluster auto-healing to proxy services that do workload management for multi-tenant deployments.
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop features and bug fixes
We'd love to see:
- Experience designing and implementing low-latency, high-scalability systems.
- 3+ years experience programming in 2 major languages (Python, Go, Java, C++) and a willingness to pick up more as needed.
- Understanding of distributed systems fundamentals.
- Experience operating distributed databases at scale.
- Upstream, accepted open source contributions to HBase, Cassandra or other NoSQL technologies.
- Production experience with NoSQL databases or other distributed storage technologies in a platform/infrastructure software engineering role.
- Experience with Kubernetes and developing custom Kubernetes controllers.
If you'd like to know more about the work we do, check out Bloomberg's Github: https://github.com/bloomberg , our recent talk at Datastax Accelerate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjypMRrit9U and some of our recent work on Cassandra Reaper: https://github.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-reaper/pull/635.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.