Senior Software Engineer - Ticker Plant SamayDB Team
The Ticker Plant system is the core of Bloomberg's market data infrastructure and is responsible for the storage and distribution of Market Data. Market Data is information -- trades, quotes, and other pricing data -- gathered from around the world on every possible kind of financial instrument, from stocks and bonds to currencies and commodities. In the aggregate, this amounts to over 100 billion events per day and growing all the time.
The SamayDB team in TickerPlant develops a high performance time-series database that is used to store all the Market Data at Bloomberg. This database is uniquely designed and built to be flexible and fast, while still being able to support massive datasets. We provide low latency data storage and retrieval options for high-frequency/high-volume applications. The storage engine hosts several petabytes of data, across hundreds of millions of instruments. The query engine handles ~80 billion queries each day at very high throughputs. Our clients are other engineering teams within TickerPlant and Bloomberg.
To meet the ever increasing market data needs of the future, we are re-architecting core parts of the system. On the storage front, we are building real-time data replication. We are also changing how historical data is archived and delivered. For queries, we are adding client access control, load management, dynamic cluster and data discovery intelligent query routing, and a bulk data query system, with the vision of making the realtime and historical market data available in a cloud compute platform. We are looking for a motivated engineer who can help build TickerPlant's data storage platform of the future.
As a Software Engineer with the SamayDB team, you will:
- Join a group in the early stages of a major multi-year system re-architecture
- Be challenged with trying to make our system more modular and horizontally scalable
- Design, implement, and own critical applications and components of our infrastructure stack
- Apply your experience to drive and own the architecture of the system
- Enhance our infrastructure to fulfill mission critical SLAs, whether low latency or high throughput data retrieval
- Work on core computer science problems such as efficient data storage, data discoverability, data replication, load balancing ,and more!
You'll need to have:
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Experience working with the sockets, operating-system-level memory management, and other systems concepts
- 3+ years experience programming in C++ or other object oriented languages
- A deep desire to learn and understand software infrastructure
- Familiarity with distributed systems
We are extremely proud of our diverse and open culture, and value diversity of thought and perspective in every form. We're looking for engineers with a real passion for writing reusable, efficient solutions to complex problems, who can adapt to an ever-changing market landscape, and who can collaborate and work effectively on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of power users around the world. If this sounds like you, please apply below!
To find out more about Engineering at Bloomberg, check out www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status