See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Enterprise Computing Unix Operations Level 3 team is responsible for maintaining a diverse plant of Unix, Linux, and storage products. This team serves as the highest level of escalation for supporting Level 1 Command Center as well as Level 2 Unix/Linux Administrators. The team is further responsible for developing procedures and tools that enable Morgan Stanley’s distributed plant to scale effectively, by eliminating or parallelizing repetitive operational tasks.
The team is tasked with the deployment of all new distributed and storage infrastructure including new data centre build outs. Team members frequently interact with engineering teams and collaborate on the testing and certification for new hardware and software products. Unix Operations is also responsible for working with various customers in a number of different business units during outage scenarios and leveraged to assist in scaling their plant. Oncall support
and weekend work are also part of this role. The ideal candidate will need strong communication skills and be highly organized. Strong technical skills are a must as well as the ability to think outside of the box. The ability to identify opportunities to increase optimization, planning, and executing. This individual will need to be a self-starter.
Role Profile and Responsibilities
- experience of managing, deploying to and debugging large scale production environments.
- joining a global team of highly accomplished engineers, developers, and operations specialists.
- contribute and maintain documentation for systems, processes, and procedures
- be able to write secure, testable, robust code.
- work with firewall teams and submit tickets for rule changes and troubleshooting requests.
- be responsible for on-call responsibilities shared with a global team
- have experience with Change Management and Problem management practices
- expected to act like an owner. Qualifications: Skills Desired
- Experience of working in a large distributed environment
- In depth experience of Solaris and Linux System administration, preferably Red Hat Linux.
- Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP, experience with networking and security concepts, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Programming level knowledge of Shell, Perl and/or Python.
- Ability to debug complex problems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as the ability to work well in a global team environment.
- The individual should have strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and high pressure situations for outage handling, management or resolution.
- Understanding of SANs and NAS Storage Devices
- Knowledge of Veritas Cluster Server or similar high availability product
- Veritas Volume Manager
- An understanding of Problem and Change Management Practices
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.